Betta Tank Ideas Please!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Theplayboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im after some ideas to design my new tank for a male betta i.e. best plants to use/gravel etc.

Im looking to create the most natural environment (well as natural as can be in a tank) for him.

I have a 3.5 gallon tank, will this be enough?

Also would it be ok to keep small shrimp in with him?

Any help much appreciated

Is that UK gallons? If so 3.5g is okay, we consider 3uk the very bare minimum.

I would personally put a thin amount of sand in there, so as not to take up too much space, a wall of plants along the back so he has somewhere to hide (And that you can put in front of the filter / heater) and then a little cave half buried in the sand (Though you could use gravel, but sand is generally a hell of a lot cheaper)

Shrimps are a touchy area, some betta's think their fantastic snacks, others will live in harmony with them. Sometimes they'll live in harmony for a year and then bam! It's shrimp for lunch. Really depends on the temperment of your betta :)

Also, welcome, fellow Essex-er!

-Rezz

Live plants are the way to go :) Easy stuff includes elodea, java fern, cabomba, wisteria, moss balls. You can pack quite a lot in-he'll love you for it. They help keep the water clean too :good:

Yep, definetly put as little substrate in there that you can. I have two male bettas in smaller homes - one is in a 2-gallon and one in a 3 gallon and next time around will go with a five gallon. Have you used the 3.5 gallon? Can you return it and exchange it for a 5-gallon? If so, do it! Cycle it first. ETA - I bought a 10-gallon for my female betta and she LOVES it! Her fins are smaller though, so it's easier for her to glide through the water. I'm so glad I got her a bigger tank. Unfortunetly, only one of my males will be upgraded to a five-gallon.

Yes 3.5 uk gallons.

There is no need to hide filter as its built into the hood its a "moby dick" tank. Ive never seen these tanks before untill i was given this one, if anyone knows of these tanks...do you think the filtration system will be ok?

Do you think it would be best to put the shrimp in first maby?

Rezz do you know of any GOOD fish shops around your area because the only one i no of near me is Swallows in Rayleigh

Thanks

I'm unfamiliar with 'Moby Dick' Tanks so can't help you out on that one.

I think it may help a bit if the shrimp go in first. If the betta goes in first he might get too terratorial.

And I'm afraid I am no where near Rayleigh, I'm up near Colchester if your willing to make the trip I use the Tollgate Seapets for equipment and Either Silverton aggregates aquatics or Frinton on sea aquatics for livestock, though I have yet to see bettas in either of those too, seapets do stock bettas but generally they have pretty rough stock so I personally wouldn't buy livestock there :)

-Rezz

I was given the 3.5 gallon tank. When ive got the money i may go out and buy the 5 gallon version of my tank.

I dont mind making the trip for the right shop. I found a resally good shop in Dartford called Living Reef. I came across it totally by accident one day and was really impressed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back