Betta Sorority

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BettaPony

Reaction score
I plan on starting up a betta sorority soon. My tank is a cycled 10 gallon long (wish it was bigger, but not happening) with tons of decorations and a tetra whisper 2-10i filter. I have a few specific questions although any sorority tips are very welcome. I have 4 2-3 month old bettas and 1 8 month old betta. That being said there is obviously a size difference. I know they should be the same size but they aren't. I do not have a heater but plan to get one.
1) Would it be better to add the four small ones and then add the big one after the small ones get bigger or to just add them all at the same time?
2) Should I upgrade the filter to a tetra whisper 10-30i?
3) I have one snail are there any other tankmates I could add?

For tankmates i was thinking 1 or 2 platties
NO, The girls are best on their own.

You need lots of live plants, check out my sorority rebuild in my signature.

1) Would it be better to add the four small ones and then add the big one after the small ones get bigger or to just add them all at the same time?
You need to introduce the girls to each other, set up and cycle the tank, this could take several weeks then float the girls in breeder nets next to each other for a day or so.

No other tank mates in a 10gal. Lots and lots of live plants and be prepared to remove/rehome any girls that can't get along. I suggest you float them in their cups/bags next to each other for a few days and do daily 100% water changes.

Do some more researching on betta sororities, you can never do enough research. Nick and I both have sororities so ask away on any questions. Better yet, go through our sororities threads.

So no tankmates then. Does it matter if the plants are live or fake(no sharp edges on the fake plants)

Live plants are betta because they help keep the water clean.

I have zero fake plants in with my bettas. I used to do all plastic and I've never looked back after going for the real deal. The bettas love it. Plastic plants look tacky IMO and many are made of hard plastics that can damage a fish's fragile fins. As Nick stated, they work wonders for keeping the water quality in good condition. They also grow constantly, creating a lush and enriching environment for the fish.

So yes, you can use fake plants so long as they are not made of plastic. Live plants are always preferred though.

You also need some floating plants, I find Water sprite is the best.

bXBhJRL.jpg

I suggest you set up your tank first, Betta sororities need stability, The worst thing you can do is keep changing stuff around.

It is already set up and cycled. So by not changing stuff around, do you mean add all of them at the samw time even though they aren't the same size?

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but how did you cycle the tank? This is pretty important. Just setting the tank up and letting it run will not be cycling it, there needs to be a source of ammonia to start the cycle and then to keep the cycle going ammonia should be added regularly.

If the tank is not cycled it might be better to return the bettas. It has been since at least monday and if the bettas are not in a properly heated and cycled tank then a decision needs to be made ASAP.

I did a fishless cycle and added fish food as a source of ammonia

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back