Betta Sick?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

louie103

Reaction score
My betta fish has been sick and I can't figure out what's going on. He is seeming to get better, but I want to be sure. I just put him in a 10 gallon tank 1.5 weeks ago and he has been so happy swimming all around. The water has been cloudy and I've changed 25% twice now to try to clear it up and followed the steps with the water conditioner, etc. The tank has a filter and a heater. I tested the PH, Nitrate, etc. and all was perfect after the first water change and mostly perfect after the second. He has been hanging out on the bottom of the tank and sometimes on his side and looked paler than usual. He has always been pale so it's hard to tell if his color is really gone. A couple of times he was breathing hard and not moving. He seems to be getting better and is now moving around, but will swim around for a bit and then go rest down at the bottom. I want to get ahead of anything that may be wrong, but I'm not sure if there is as he's moving, comes to see me and still eating. It looks like his fins are frayed a little and clumped - maybe? I'm not sure if it's from the filter, plastic plants (I know - I read that is bad after the fact) or if it's the onset
louie.jpg
of fin rot. Any advice on what to do? And, the cloudy tank!?

Could you post the actual numbers from your tests, please, as well as what test kit you're using?

I used the API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips. It measures pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Carbonate and General Hardness. I just did a 3rd reading and below are the results of all.

1st reading / 2nd reading / 3rd reading
Nitrate: 0 / 0 / 0
Nitrite: 0 / 0.5 / 0
pH: 7.0 / 7.5 / Appears between 7.0-7.5
KH /Carbonate Hardness: 80 / 180 / 80
GH / General Hardness: 120 /180 / 180

Also, I have the tank near a floor to ceiling window, but the tank does not get direct sunlight.

If you just set up the tank 2ish weeks ago, it's unlikely that it's cycles. You can get by on this if you keep up on water changes, say 50% every day or every other day. You want the nitrites to be zero all the time. I would say the cloudy water is because the tank isn't cycled.

As for the clumped fins, it could be that they are curling. This often occurs in many bettas, some say it's from poor water quality, other say it's a vitamin deficiency or genetics. So long as the water is changed regularly I personally don't think it's a problem.

Your betta looks rather thin. How long have you had him and what/how much are you feeding him?

Can we see a photo of the tank please?

The pH is a bit high for a betta, usually they prefer slightly below 7. Has the pH been swaying? Was there a pH difference between the old and new tank? If so, that may be a problem. I experienced a similar situation with my first betta (who passed away), so I hope you find a solution. Good luck, and I hope something here helps.

A PH of 7.5 is fine for Bettas, I know people who keep Bettas in PH of 8,

A stable PH is more important thats why you should NEVER use PH lowering chemicals like PH down, The only safe way to lower PH is thru Reverse Osmosis or distilling water they adding minerals back.

"A PH of 7.5 is fine for Bettas, I know people who keep Bettas in PH of 8,"
(sorry, don't know how to use quoting).

Really? I definitely agree about the second part, but I thought bettas preferred slightly acidic or neutral pH. But, I had a look into it and you're right. Not sure about 8 though, seems a bit high. Thanks for correcting me. :)

I inherited him from my niece a couple of months ago. I feed him twice a day, but he is a very picky eater. The only things he will eat are brine shrimp and bloodworms. I give him 3-4 pieces in the morning and in the evening.

He is swimming around now, but still doesn't look right. He looks paler today. I feel like something is wrong, but not entirely sure.

IMG_2892.JPG
I inherited him from my niece a couple of months ago. I feed him twice a day, but he is a very picky eater. The only things he will eat are brine shrimp and bloodworms. I give him 3-4 pieces in the morning and in the evening.

He is swimming around now, but still doesn't look right. He looks paler today. I feel like something is wrong, but not entirely sure.

Most reactions

Back