Betta Rapid Deterioration

hijia

Reaction score
I must admit I panic signed up to this forum out of desperation, I imagine that happens quite a lot here(!).

I've had my betta for just over two weeks. His behavior right from the start was very strange - flashing along the glass, hiding under and behind things, spending an unusual amount of time resting at the bottom, plus swimming with slightly jerky movements. At first I thought it was a 'quirk' but it soon became clear he wasn't happy and never really appeared to fully settle in.

I got a shock last week when apparently overnight, his fins were all clamped up and appeared to have chunks missing. I would treat for fin rot but such rapid fin issues don't seem to fit this diagnosis(?). He is now very pale, skinny and lethargic, with red streaky marks on top of his head (there were slight marks there when I bought him but I thought it was just his colouring, now I'm not so sure). As you can see, the poor guy is in a very sorry looking state.

Despite his poor condition, he doesn't appear to have gotten worse than his current very poor state - looking no better or worse for the last three days. He is currently in 2.5 gallon quarantine with a heater, filter, some floating plants and an almond leaf (daily water changes). He is still eating normally and is moderately active. I'm at a loss at what to do treatment wise, as I'm really not sure what I'm dealing with here (my lfs didn't have any appropriate looking treatments either). I'm extremely worried it's Mycobacteriosis.

The aquarium I had him in was a mature, heavily planted, fully cycled 25L aquarium. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 7ppm, pH 7.8. I acclimatized him for around an hour prior to adding him.

The first picture is when the betta first arrived, the others were taken earlier today. Please note the jar was purely for very brief, picture taking purposes.

Many, many thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 1204233.jpg
    1204233.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 201712.jpg
    201712.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 12291514.jpg
    12291514.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 177

Most reactions