Betta questions...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Sofishticated

Reaction score
Iā€™m going to purchase a betta after Christmas when my fish store sells them (they stop around Christmas so they donā€™t get put in vases like ornaments) so I have a few questions.
1). Does anyone have a superfish home 40 aquarium- are they easy to clean? I would have it with the back touching a wall so how would you clean behind the filter?
2). Are there any common betta illnesses I should research before getting one?
3). I read somewhere that they like floating plants, if I put elodea densa on the surface is that okay and how much is a good amount?
4). Is a 25L aquarium an okay size for one betta?

I rarely ever clean the backs of my aquariums. It don't often spill water on that side so it stays clean enough. I don't think you will have a problem with the back touching the wall.

After a quick search I see that it has a built in filter. They are pretty easy to clean in my experience. Just turn off the filter and disassemble it, then rinse everything in old tank water during a water change. You really would only have to do this about once a month, if that.

Yes bettas like floating plants and it is hard to have too many plants in a betta tank. So long as they can reach the surface to breath and have an open space to swim around a bit then it's good. My bettas like to rest in the taller plants near the surface. Plus the live plants help keep the water cleaner by using up the fish waste and making oxygen.

There are a ton of fish illnesses that bettas can get. The most common for bettas being fin rot and bloating. Just be sure to soak any pellets in water before feeding and keep up with weekly water changes to keep the water clean.

25 liters is about 6 gallons, which is perfectly fine for a lone betta. Just don't try adding other fish to the tank, at most some snails and shrimp as tank mates.

Seeing as you already have the tank, have you cycled it? If you are unfamiliar with the Nitrogen cycle, then you should read up on it and perhaps buy yourself an API master test kit. The tank needs to be cycled before getting the betta.

This is one of my betta tanks, full of crypts and home to Otabek and several loaches. He loves his plants, so if possible, add some crypts to your tank, they are amazingly tough and beautiful.
Otabek's 11-10-17.JPG

Its true there is no such thing as too many floating plants.
bXBhJRL.jpg

PS

If you have a HOB like I do make a small floating boom from bendy drinking straws

7mC2n8Q.jpg

It stops the plants from being pushed under by the hob

Thanks so much for the replies! Yes, my tankā€™s fully cycled. Also, your tank looks lovely :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back