Betta Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fairy_Poison

Reaction score
Hello there, as I am new to this website along with a new betta pal ! I have had him for 3 days now & notice he had built a bubble nest with no female Betta in sight, now my big question is: IF I were to purchase a female Betta for breeding, can I ensure how many eggs will be made?
I want my Betta to be able to feel fatherly (HA , Fathers day is around the corner ) before getting into a more older stage , but neither would I be able to care for 300 fry! Can you stop them after making 10 eggs or so? I am very new to caring for fish as an animal lover I didn't purchase them due to thinking they die off quickly from being cupped all their lives and sad but I grew a "rescue bond" for these cute fish that I want to breed and give beautiful homes to ! anyone experienced have answers I'm all ears !

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You can't stop fish from producing more eggs. The females will release all the eggs they have when they breed. This might be 20 or it might be 500.

Male Bettas regularly build a bubblenest and it is perfectly normal. Just let him have his nest to care for and don't bother about a female unless you have 2 aquariums. The females are best kept separate from males until the female has developed eggs. Then she is introduced into the male's tank and if she is suitable, they breed and the male takes care of the eggs and fry (baby fish). The female is normally removed from the male's tank after they have bred.

If you do want to let him have some babies, you could always bring the ones you cant care for to your local fish store. Most lfs's always take juvinile fish and put them up for adoption for good forever home!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You can't stop fish from producing more eggs. The females will release all the eggs they have when they breed. This might be 20 or it might be 500.

Male Bettas regularly build a bubblenest and it is perfectly normal. Just let him have his nest to care for and don't bother about a female unless you have 2 aquariums. The females are best kept separate from males until the female has developed eggs. Then she is introduced into the male's tank and if she is suitable, they breed and the male takes care of the eggs and fry (baby fish). The female is normally removed from the male's tank after they have bred.

Thank you :) ! Surely will take this advice :) his bubbles weren't to thick only a set of 4 here and there in the tank so more practice is best for him told them, and also since I recently changed the water (spring water with no filter in tank) I noticed my bettas bubbles pop right after he releases them! :( I believe it is either from the new rocks I had set in or if it was the water change ? :/ He's still encouraged to keep building his bubble nest but I don't know what I did wrong lol the water was at 78° too cold? Hmm

If you do want to let him have some babies, you could always bring the ones you cant care for to your local fish store. Most lfs's always take juvinile fish and put them up for adoption for good forever home!
I was thinking that ! But I didnt know if they took them in ! That is great to know surely will take this into consideration! Thank you very much ! :)

If you've never bred and raised egg laying fish (rather than live bearers like guppies) then I'd do your research before trying it out. It is a lot harder than putting a male and female together and letting them breed. The tiny fry will only eat live foods so you would have to have cultures of various tiny critters to keep them alive. If the fry make it to being juveniles you will need a larger grow out tank, of say 20+gals. Then you will need individual tanks/jars for the males that start acting like males. Plus you'd want to get a plan for the young before breeding them, you don't want to be stuck with dozens of bettas if the pet stores in your area refuse the fish.

If you've never bred and raised egg laying fish (rather than live bearers like guppies) then I'd do your research before trying it out. It is a lot harder than putting a male and female together and letting them breed. The tiny fry will only eat live foods so you would have to have cultures of various tiny critters to keep them alive. If the fry make it to being juveniles you will need a larger grow out tank, of say 20+gals. Then you will need individual tanks/jars for the males that start acting like males. Plus you'd want to get a plan for the young before breeding them, you don't want to be stuck with dozens of bettas if the pet stores in your area refuse the fish.
Yea I obviously don't plan on breeding so soon , I am just trying doing my research on them and because I am someone who has lots of questions I like to ask and make sure when I am ready to breed I am comfortable and not rushing the moment :) thank you for the advice !

Look up these youtube accounts for information on betta breeding:

Life With Pets
Creative Pet Keeping

You can learn a lot from them, about how it works, how to house everyone, dealing with the fry, separating into jars, etc. Creative Pet Keeping probably has more betta breeding videos than Life With Pets does, but they're both really good resources on this topic.

Look up these youtube accounts for information on betta breeding:

Life With Pets
Creative Pet Keeping

You can learn a lot from them, about how it works, how to house everyone, dealing with the fry, separating into jars, etc. Creative Pet Keeping probably has more betta breeding videos than Life With Pets does, but they're both really good resources on this topic.
Yes ! Finally youtube videos ! sounds GREAT !! Thank you ! Will watch now ! I have been on YouTube since this morning looking for the right videos about Betta, Thanks again everyone! You're all AWESOME!! :)

Most reactions

Back