Betta On His Side For Three Weeks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hkilbertus

Reaction score
I have had my Betta for about 6 years...I use water conditioner on him and until recently - 6 years later he has been a happy fish.  For the last three weeks he has been laying on his side at the bottom of the tank only coming up for air.  I have made sure he eats by dropping multiple pellets in and watching until he can actually get one.  Or - I have transferred him into a shallow bowl and gave him ample food and watched until he ate and put him back in his regular one gallon.  I got scared when he began laying on the bottom and began reading forums so ran out and bought him a tank with a filter - this didn't work - for some reason he stayed near the bottom even more (fearing the bubbles?) when I turned the pump off he would move around more.   I got him betta medicine, salt for the tank and have the tank half full so he doesnt have to struggle to get to the top.  He just lays there though...the temperature is correct also although now I leave the light on most of the day so the tank stays a few degrees warmer for him.  Any advice or help would be appreciated...I know they don't live forever but he's been with me for a long time and hate to see him ...suffer?....he looks paler in color and just lethargic and slow on the bottom of the tank.  Thanks in advance.

If you've had him for six years, it may also just be his time. However I am extremely surprised he's lived that long in a one gallon. Do a water change daily (about 15-20%, small enough that it won't shock him in his fragile state but large enough to be sure that he's getting fresh water), see if that doesn't help. Is he breathing heavily?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back