Betta Lying On Side At Bottom Of Tank, Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Its not sounding good I agree.
It's up to you as you can see how bad he is.
If you don't think he going to recover I would end his misery. Bless him.

Its not sounding good I agree.
It's up to you as you can see how bad he is.
If you don't think he going to recover I would end his misery. Bless him.

Thank you Wilder, I'll watch him tonight and then make a decision.

if he really is in a bad state, so you think hed pass peacefully.
there is really no method of euthanizing a fish that is too peaceful.
keep changing his water, offering food, etc., and just let nature take its course.
if i were a fish, and dying from old age (and really a year isnt all that old to own a betta, even if already a year old when purchased), i would want to die peacefully, rather than be "helped". if he doesnt look like he's suffering, just treat him as normal and let him be.
it is sad that it comes to this :(
all the best

if he really is in a bad state, so you think hed pass peacefully.
there is really no method of euthanizing a fish that is too peaceful.
keep changing his water, offering food, etc., and just let nature take its course.
if i were a fish, and dying from old age (and really a year isnt all that old to own a betta, even if already a year old when purchased), i would want to die peacefully, rather than be "helped". if he doesnt look like he's suffering, just treat him as normal and let him be.
it is sad that it comes to this :(
all the best

I don't know whether he's suffering! I thought bettas had to have regular access to the surface to be able to breathe, but he isn't doing that, as far as I can tell, unless it's at night when I'm asleep. He also doesn't seem to be eating much.

I can of course leave him until he dies naturally, but didn't want him to be suffering in any way, i.e.struggling to breathe, or starving gradually or in pain ...

I just thought because there has been no improvement at all, he must be on his way out.

Also, I keep reading different things regarding how long a betta can live. At my LFS he said that he wouldn't expect him to live much longer if he is about 13, 14 months old - is that wrong?

I'll leave him for now and see what happens. I don't want to add any more meds to his water if they are not going to help as I fear that may be stressing him too. I'll just keep doing partial water changes every other day for now and feed him stuff that sinks like blood worm, brine shrimp etc.

Thanks again.

When I fish stop eating its not a good sign.
Its up to you. Not nice ending an animal life I know. But I find it kinder if there suffering.

When I fish stop eating its not a good sign.
Its up to you. Not nice ending an animal life I know. But I find it kinder if there suffering.

I put some defrosted frozen bloodworm in just now and he came straight up for it, but seems to be struggling to see it - not sure if he can see out of his good eye now, or is just disorientated because of the other eye?

I'm going to hang on a bit longer as he's eating and see what happens.

Thanks.

Ok.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back