Betta in alcohol bottle?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have seen many breeders put bettas in alcohol bottles. Is it affect on their growth ?

Small containers of water do slow the growth of fish but if you change the water each day and feed them well, it doesn't slow them down as much.

The reason they use bottles is to keep the males separate and to minimise the amount of space required to keep all the males together. If you have 500 male fish from a batch of eggs, each male needs his own space and they can take up a lot of space. Small bottles/ containers mean more fish in the same area.

Though if you aren't a beta breeder you shouldn't put your fish in a alcohol bottle. Your beta should be put in an 2.5 gallon tank minimum. If you have a king beta then a 10 gallon is minimum.

Most people don't know that when kept like this temporarily by fish breeders, the betta's are also kept in rooms around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and the water is changed very frequently, sometimes twice a day, as is often required to keep good water quality in an uncycled tank.

Yes Thai Betta farms keep Bettas like that but this isnt something you can do you need special conditions.

Betta Farm in Thailand YouTube

Yes Thai Betta farms keep Bettas like that but this isnt something you can do you need special conditions.

Betta Farm in Thailand YouTube
That really isn't ok. The "containers" can easily break which means you will fall on the beta and likely kill it. Thailand has completely different rules then from what the US has.

Those containers are stronger than an aquarium and they sit in water to keep the temperature stable. But its still not OK.

I will bet money on the fact that if you did that in Australia or the USA it would be fine as far as animal cruelty laws go, for some reason fish don't seem to be covered,

If they were this wouldnt be allowed
images

Then why people kept them in glass bottles only? Plastic bottles (cold drink big bottles) are very cheap and big size as compared to alcohol bottles.

Honestly, the only reason that bettas can survive this treatment is the labyrinth organ that allows the poor things to survive the Permanent gill damage that can result from prolonged exposure to ammonia.
EDIT
Seriously, if there was a chemical weapon that did the same thing to humans that ammonia does in high amounts to fish, it would be outlawed by the Geneva Convention.

Anyway, to answer the original question, 18 liters is sufficient for ONE betta, but it is unlikely to tolerate tankmates in such close quarters
Edit: sorry wrong thread, mod please delete. :blink:

Anyway, to answer the original question, 18 liters is sufficient for ONE betta, but it is unlikely to tolerate tankmates in such close quarters
I always prefer zebra danio for tankmate of betta

Yes i kept them in 18 gallon tank. 6 zebra danios and betta
Danios are not only active, they need more room than you have. If they aren't in a proper group, expect fins to be nipped at.

Zebra danios are one of the worst tank-mates for a Betta they are way to active and this stresses the Betta.

In confined spaces they become quite nippy.

They are also top feeders like the Betta and can be quite territorial.

Zebra Danios also do better at lower temperatures than what Betta require.

I
Zebra danios are one of the worst tank-mates for a Betta they are way to active and this stresses the Betta.

In confined spaces they become quite nippy.

They are also top feeders like the Betta and can be quite territorial.

Zebra Danios also do better at lower temperatures than what Betta require.
Know they are fast thats why i put only 6 for 20 gallon long tank. Also i put hiding places. Betta is not stressed

Most reactions

trending

Back