betta ID please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

envious

Reaction score
hi everyone not sure If this is the right place for this thread.
I've been wanting a group of the more peaceful betta types but have been unable to aquire any.
then a couple of days ago I spotted this beauty in a tank full of females splendens. I'm pretty certain it's male it show all colours of a wild betta splenden but I'm unsure. there are other males in the shop tank with the females and I didn't see any fighting just the odd flare. any thoughts people
thanks

Attachments

• 20161116_163522.jpg
    20161116_163522.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 170
The pelvic fins definitely make it look like a male, so I would guess a splendens plakat of sorts. I hear that the short finned types are more aggressive, probably because they can get around faster than their long-finned friends. I'm no expert in wild types though :p If the males were mixed with the females at the pet store then I would bet that they were raised together.
If you are wanting a group of splendens, it's probably best to go all female. If you want mixed males and females, I would look into the more common wild caught types. From what I understand, the species that are mouth brooders are usually kept as pairs. Imbellis (bubble nesters) can be kept as a colony but their colors are nothing special.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but I may have found a website that might help.
http://nicebetta.blogspot.com/

I use to breed Fancy Half moon Plakats. I had one female really trick me for the long time I thought it was a female then the fins really came in and I saw now it was a male.

It is a male Plakat for sure. The longer Ventral fins are the real give away.

It looks like the ones they breed to fight. Not all Plakats are bred to fight. mine were the fancy halfmoon plakats with all kinds of colors. The fighting ones are very hardy and aggressive the fancy ones I had were not all the hardy. Mine were all for show. The fighters look more natural and have dark colors. I was such a betta nerd I joined the IBC read the show requirements. I can say that is a VERY nice looking Plakat His Anal Fin is not that good but he has good body shape.

thank you both.
I think hes nice looking too. he has a slight tare in his anal fin hopefully it will heal soon enough. he's very small compared to plakats I've seen for sale so may still colour up a little more. he's currently being kept with endler guppies and cherry shrimp and hasn't showed any aggression what's so ever so far. but I'll keep a close eye on him for a week or 2

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back