Betta has Pop-Eye

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GobyMaster11276

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, so I was just relaxing, enjoying my Friday, when my sister came into my room and said, "There's something wrong with Apollo." I thought torn fins possibly, but it turns out his right eye was swollen and whitish. After very quick research we decided it was pop-eye. So, we quickly whipped out the hospital tank, filled it up (about 1/4 current tank water, 3/4 new, dechlorinated water). This may sound stupid to some people, but we also put in her current filter (might not have been so smart looking at it now). A heater was popped in, and it is now heating. What should we do now? I'm not really sure how to treat it. Also, a towel has been wrapped around the light to make it dimmer (it was blinding). Will get pictures up soon.

Pop eye is normally bacterial, so it can spread.

You'll need to treat with an anti bacterial medication, and make sure the water is in tip top quality, or course.

Okay, so here are our thoughts. Tomorrow he will be moved to the hospital tank (which is taking its time to heat). We still have epsom salts from the time I unsuccessfully treated a goldfish with swim bladder, if those would be useful for a bath or whatnot. What type of antibacterial medicine would you recommend? By the way, video is coming, just very slow internet.

No, I don't think Epsom salts would be appropriate in this case.

I'dd recommend eSHa 2000, if you can get that where you are.

UPDATE
Apollo's eye has gone down noticeably. He is now in the hospital tank. I hope the transfer wasn't too stressful. We are intending to leave him in there until he has fully recovered. He still is behaving normally, swimming around, eating, etc. I think he'll be fine.

Another update: Little to no change overnight. Meds are being considered but not used. He is still very active, but for some reason he mainly swims along the very back edge (like he is pacing). Well, fish will be fish. Eye is still cloudy, and a bit bigger than the other.

UPDATE:
Apollo is definitely experiencing discolouration around the head area. Please help me find out what is happening and how to stop it.

Most reactions

trending

Back