🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My 10 gallon tank was looking pretty bare

Due to age my neons and harlequin rasboras have thinned out. There were only 3 harleys and one neon left.

So I was in Petco yesterday and saw a nice selection of Betta ... one caught my eye.

Marley now has a new home with plenty of room to swim. No problems with interactions as yet.. if needed I can move the neon and harleys but so far so good.
I may up the neons and/ or harleys if things work out.

Attachments

• 679143EC-BB2D-4653-B338-B4AC8760A1D6.jpeg
    679143EC-BB2D-4653-B338-B4AC8760A1D6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
  • D1F1498B-2C23-438A-B82F-639D735398E6.jpeg
    D1F1498B-2C23-438A-B82F-639D735398E6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 275
  • 9C7FA5D5-7D56-43A5-9150-18C18F488882.jpeg
    9C7FA5D5-7D56-43A5-9150-18C18F488882.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
How beautiful!! I think rose tails are one of the prettiest betta fish. :D

Lovely looking fish! I've noticed you have some pet shop decor in there, nothing wrong with that. Be sure to test them for sharp edges inside and out though! Betta are kind of goofy and can easily hurt their body or fins. I had to sand down a coconut hut because my betta boy managed to get a cut on the top of his head chasing a bit of sinking food that fell near the entrance. Also, tank mates for betta are best left to the lower level like corydora and very small pleco breeds. Even then its no gauruntee, but any betta will have an issue eventually with any mid to top swimming fish as it is "his territory".

If the tank has non-aggressive, non-fish nipping fish and you want to try adding a Betta, they say it's best to introduce a Betta to the tank last...not before adding other fish. By Betta standards, my 10 gallon is large and is well planted...so plenty of hiding areas and an area for the Betta to establish his territory.

If it doesnt work out, I can move the Harleys and Neon. We'll see how it goes...so far so good.

Last edited:
Yes, many people say “Bettas can’t be kept with any tank mates!” (Wrong......)

Neon’s and Harlequin Rasboros are some of the best tank mates for bettas, have you considered getting Snails? Nerite snails are a god option for bettas. :)

The only snails in the tank are pond or pest snails. I take some out via a net if they become too numerous. They do help keep the bottom of the tank cleaner , which is a big plus.

I put a narrow clear stem glass upside down into the tank and put an anubias plant attached to a rock on top. Hope Marley uses it to rest on top. The plant is now about 3 inches from the top of the tank. Now he has a hammock. Marley never had it so good.. way better than living in a cup.

Last edited:
Good!! I’m glad you have him something to rest on! :)

I like live plants better for resting spots, than say a betta hammock. :)

Awesome! He is a stunner!

You are obviously well aware of betta tank mates. I have kept bettas with just about everything. You really have to worry about the bettas fins, NOT the well being of the other fish most of the time.

I have had a betta in a community with neons and cardinals, cories, ottos, and even a blue ram. It worked out because he was docile. Betta advice is littered with people that read and repeat internet advice with no actual experience.

10 gallons does not give ya much room to play with, but restocking the rasboras would be my vote. Thanks for sharing!

Here’s a pic of using a long stem glass to create a betta hammock. I put a watersprite around the stem to camouflage it. Rock with anubius is on the top a couple inches from the top of tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 259
Here’s a pic of using a long stem glass to create a betta hammock. I put a watersprite around the stem to camouflage it. Rock with anubius is on the top a couple inches from the top of tank.
First time I have seen a wine glass used functionally in a tank! Haha

What is the purpose of putIng the wine glass in the tank? :)

to support the anubias plant on top...bettas tend to like resting on the leaves near the top of the tank...so far he's not using it...will leave it in for a few weeks to see if he uses it..otherwise , I will remove it.

Seeing there were no issues with the three Harlequin Rasobras getting along with Marley, my Betta fish, in the 10 gallon tank, I decided to up the school of Harleys . I went to Petco today and bought 2 more Harlequins and while there I picked up a good sized Nerite snail. The 5 Harleys now school even better than before and Marley doesn't seem to be bothered by the increase in numbers.

The lone neon hangs out with the Harleys and I don't plan on increasing the number of neons as I believe I am at capacity for this 10 gallon tank.

I'm hoping the snail likes diatoms as I have plenty in the tank.
Do I need to add any calcium as I read nerites need calcium? What form of calcium should I add?

Sweet! I plan to setup a simpler tank, very soon. A betta/harlequin rasboras/snails tank. How is that working out.? :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back