Betta Friendly Plants-

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MarchHare

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
that also enjoy low PH.
PH averages right around 5.6 - 6.0  KH is generally 1 to 2. (also low)
That's the reason that my Cabomba isn't doing well according to my LFS guy.
Says it should be raised and that he has kept Bettas in water with a PH as high as 10.
 I have no intention of raising my PH significantly. Prefer a comfortable fish.
In any case the Java Fern is doing very well, so I thought I would go on a search for moderate PH, low tech plants.
Tank is a 5.5 gallon All Glass with the standard 3 led hood. Soon to be changed to a better/brighter DIY CFL.
Would like a free floating plant and a rooted type plant.
Any help in my search would certainly be appreciated.
March...

I have my Bettas in ph 7 water only because that is what comes out of the tap. I have them (6) in 10 gallon low tech tanks kept from 78F up to room temp in summer (no AC for me or fish). I currently have forests of Java Ferns, Java Moss that continually needs to be thinned or it will cover the ferns, Anubias Nana, a Marimo Moss ball per tank (actually an algae form) and floating Water Sprite and Duckweed. Duckweed is an acquired taste, it can easily cover the tank if not thinned regularly. Only LED lighting (Marineland 11" sit on glass cover) on timer. I use no fertilizers or CO2 and plant growth is lush and the Bettas seem to enjoy. Tankmates only snails that arrived as stowaways on plants and thrive.

I would try Water Sprite, it can be planted in your substrate or grow floating as I have it.

David

Sorry, forgot to add LiveAquaria.com where I bought Water Sprite lists preferred pH of 5.5-6.5 though it has thrived for me around pH 7

David

Every plant is fine for bettas. Pearlweed is great. 

Thanks very much David.
Lots of info that I can investigate and use.
If my LFS doesn't have one or two of your suggestions, he's sure to have something.
My water also comes from the tap at my PH of 5.6. On a well.
Thanks for your offer John.
Going with my daughter to pick up plants this afternoon.
But I do have another empty tank , so you may hear from me.
March...

MarchHare said:
Thanks very much David.
Lots of info that I can investigate and use.
If my LFS doesn't have one or two of your suggestions, he's sure to have something.
My water also comes from the tap at my PH of 5.6. On a well.
Thanks for your offer John.
Going with my daughter to pick up plants this afternoon.
But I do have another empty tank , so you may hear from me.
March...
Wow. 5.6 ph. you are lucky.

Back from the LFS.
Water Sprite was the clear winner as he had some nice examples.
Had to trim about 3" from the stalks and planted a bunch toward the back of the tank.
Have a few sprigs floating.
They also had Anubias Nana, but I thought $12.95 for a very small pot was a bit too pricey.
Maybe next time.
I've saved all your suggestions for future reference.
Many thanks for your help.
March...

Most reactions

Back