betta for my brother

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi guys. im not really one to know much about bettas but my lil bro was asking what fish could go with male or female bettas. his tank is a 40 or 45 litre and is heated and filtered. we have relatively hard water. the tank i just helped him set up and is still in the process of cycling and whatever but he would like a betta. it is his second tank so he is not a total novice but he is asking a question i cant answer can anyone help.:shout:

Hi

40l tank is just big enough for a Betta and no other fish.

Agree with NickAu that as Betta in a 40 liter is it. There are other fish, "nano" type, but not with a male Betta. This is not a community fish anyway.

hi guys. im not really one to know much about bettas but my lil bro was asking what fish could go with male or female bettas. his tank is a 40 or 45 litre and is heated and filtered. we have relatively hard water. the tank i just helped him set up and is still in the process of cycling and whatever but he would like a betta. it is his second tank so he is not a total novice but he is asking a question i cant answer can anyone help.:shout:
Agree with NickAu that as Betta in a 40 liter is it. There are other fish, "nano" type, but not with a male Betta. This is not a community fish anyway.
what about some shrimp or snails?

It depends on the Betta, shrimp will be seen as food you will need a heavily planted tank, and by heavily I mean something like the image in my signature, it may or may not work.

Snails should be OK, particularly something like nerites which have very little body outside the shell. Years ago someone on this forum told of their betta ripping the feelers off apple snails, which are quite long compared to nerites. There are some very colourful nerites.

Having seen what a previous betta of mine did to a woodlouse I accidentally got in the tank, I would not recommend shrimps - not unless the tank is as heavily planted as Nick's.

hang on i may be mistaken withe the size. sorry folks. its these stupid conversions. i can tell you that it is a 2 ft tank like mine

Attachments

• DSC_0438.jpg
    DSC_0438.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 78
hang on i may be mistaken withe the size. sorry folks. its these stupid conversions. i can tell you that it is a 2 ft tank like mine

Regardless of the tank size, a male Betta is not a community fish and should be kept on his own. So if your brother wants a tank with more than just a Betta, no Betta.

no sorry i thought i mentioned that it would be a female not a male. silly me:shout:

i successfully persuaded him to get a male and he has bought a blue and red one. he seems pretty healthy for now and the conditions that my lfs keeps them in are pretty good. the tanks are obviously not to large but they have enough room to swim. they also have substrate and if there is a lager tank open they move them into there. currently he is exploring his new home along with two mystery snails. strangely he spends a lot of time in a stream of bubbles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back