Betta Fish Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ash Paws

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Its been a while since I have posted, the last thread I made was about my betta fish, Pence. He got Ich, but a crazy miracle happened and he fully recovered and is actually still alive.

However it seems something similar is happening again though. He lays around on the bottom of the tank a lot and seems to have trouble swimming up to the surface.
He still eagerly comes up to eat at the surface but seems like he is having a hard time swimming up.

Any ideas what this could mean?
Pence's birthday was in January-February 2017 so he is over a year old.

Thanks in advance.

Nope, no pineconing. It seems his abdomen is bloating a little bit though.
He is in a 5.5 gal tank with 5 neon tetras. People say 5.5 gallons is too small for tetras but they do just fine and the fish get along very well. They have been like this for months.
I try to do water changes once every week or two.
Here is a picture
8025743332282801201%253Faccount_id%253D6

Sorry it is kind of low quality but I hope this helps.

Yes, it is too small. Just because they look fine it doesn't mean it is fine, as we should always stick to what is already known so we don't make mistakes. Please rehome them or move to a bigger tank. Your betta probably has mild dropsy. Move it to a quarantine tank and salt the tank with aquarium salt,

Your betta probably has mild dropsy. Move it to a quarantine tank and salt the tank with aquarium salt,
NO, you do not use aquarium salt on bloating or dropsy, you use Epsom salt baths .
Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

What does this mean for my fish?:
These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

How much of this salt per gallon do I use?:
For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How long does the betta stay in this mixture?:
In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.
http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html

I may try this. I think maybe he might have dropsy because his scales are sticking out a little bit and he has clamped fins and bloating etc.

I am just so scared to do this because I don't want Pence to then die just because of stress. Do you have to do the epsom salt soaks only once or multiple times?

I don't want Pence to then die just because of stress.
This is a possibility even if you do everything right, the chances of it happening a very low.

You may need to do it a few times.

Oh and PS

Stop feeding your fish for a few days, his belly is swollen and feeding him is not helping.

Yes, it is too small. Just because they look fine it doesn't mean it is fine, as we should always stick to what is already known so we don't make mistakes. Please rehome them or move to a bigger tank. Your betta probably has mild dropsy. Move it to a quarantine tank and salt the tank with aquarium salt,
Right, but don't use any aquarium salt. Epsom salt is much better. You already got instructions on how to bathe him. He is also likely stressed from being crowded by other fish. Bettas do best alone as they are solo fish.

He hasn't really been coming up for food anyway, but yes, I decided I was going to feed him less.

The tetras are in the ten gallon now. Last night I wasn't home but my mom moved Pence to the ten gallon, too. The water quality in the 5.5 gallon was so bad, and the water was really hot.
He is just laying on the bottom right now.

I did not want to move Pence to the ten gallon, but maybe once I clean the 5.5 really well I can put him back.

He hasn't really been coming up for food anyway, but yes, I decided I was going to feed him less.

The tetras are in the ten gallon now. Last night I wasn't home but my mom moved Pence to the ten gallon, too. The water quality in the 5.5 gallon was so bad, and the water was really hot.
He is just laying on the bottom right now.

I did not want to move Pence to the ten gallon, but maybe once I clean the 5.5 really well I can put him back.
Why was the 5.5 gallon so hot? You CAN literally fry your fish if the temperature gets too high. Do you have a filter?

Yes there is a filter. (in both tanks, of course.)

When Pence had ich we bought him a heater so we could set the temperature to higher. It might have been to powerful for a small aquarium like his. But the thermometer said it was 78° (F). I like to keep it around 78 or 80 F.
The water temperature has dropped though since I moved that heater to the 10 gallon, but the water in there is also 78 and feels really cool.

Yes there is a filter. (in both tanks, of course.)

When Pence had ich we bought him a heater so we could set the temperature to higher. It might have been to powerful for a small aquarium like his. But the thermometer said it was 78° (F). I like to keep it around 78 or 80 F.
The water temperature has dropped though since I moved that heater to the 10 gallon, but the water in there is also 78 and feels really cool.
Bettas need to be kept at 78-80 at all times. Should have bought him a heater when you got him. Oh well. As for the ich, you need to raise the temp to 86 to get rid of ich.

We did get a heater when we got him, we just bought an adjustable one when he got ich. He does not have ich anymore.

Just to clear up some confusion.

but the water in there is also 78 and feels really cool.
The feel test is the most in accurate way to determine water temp.

I keep an infrared thermometer around to double check temps. You can find one for under $20 on Amazon. It is nice to check if something is wrong with your thermometer.

Etekcity Lasergrip 774 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun -58℉~ 716℉ (-50℃ ~ 380℃), Yellow and Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back