Betta Fish - ick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Appletree123

Reaction score
Hi! I bought a beautiful male betta today. Heā€™s currently housed in a 7.5 gallon tank (28L) I wondered if he had ick. And also if I could add any tank mates? Thanks!

Attachments

• AFA50EC6-82F1-471E-BD0A-FD876A468FB5.jpeg
    AFA50EC6-82F1-471E-BD0A-FD876A468FB5.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 1,774
Not sure if itā€™s ich. The one time I delt with that the spots were all over, but it still might be. Make sure the temp is over 80F and you feed plenty of protein. The increased temp will accelerate the life cycle of the parasite which will make them die out and the increased protein will boost his immune system.

As far as tank mates I would say no. He does not need them and in that small a tank which is plenty for him, a tank mate may get bullied and there really isnā€™t enough room for it anyway, except a mystery snail or two.

no it is not ich.

It looks like light reflecting off one of his scales.

Ichthyopthirius produces small round white dots on the body and fins.

I would suggest a few more plants especially floating ones like water sprite or Riccia.

Ok thank you very much. I was thinking of snails rather than actual fish as I know the tank is small. Thank you PAH! (not!)
Which kind of snail goes well?
And what kind of plant is easy to look after?

I was thinking of snails rather than actual fish as I know the tank is small.
That may or may not work depending on the Betta, some will leave snails alone some will hunt and eat snails, even Malaysian Trumpet snails are not safe.

As proof I give you this video of my female Bettas hunting watch the white one.

If you want a snail's you could try
One only Mystery or Nerite snail these make great pets in their own right and most kids love them.
A few assorted Ramshorns some of these have amazing colors.
A few Assassin snails.

And what kind of plant is easy to look after?
Anubias and Crypts are easy. Anubias it tied or crazy glued to bits of wood, It can be attached to glass using suction cups or it can be left floating. Crypts are planted in substrate.

For Floating plants a bit of water sprite is great.

Last edited:
Thanks Nickau, the videos amazing to watch! What size tank do you have those Bettas in? They look awesome together. I have very much caught the fish bug now :D

LOL

Those girls were in a 15 gallon 2 foot tank

Heres a better video.

When you are ready let me or Demeter32 know and we will guide you, First thing you need is a tank, If you are in the USA keep an eye out for Petco's $1 a gallon sales you need a tank that is 2 foot or longer.

Will do, thank you! Iā€™m in the UK and tanks are hella expensive from lps. Iā€™ve been looking on gumtree etc, but we donā€™t have the space to get another just yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back