Betta Fish + Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maxthefish

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been trying to do some research here in the forum about algae instead of having people post answers to questions that have already been asked, but each case is unique and different so I decided just to post my story anyway.

I have had a betta fish for a little less than a year. He does well and is a happy fish! However, I can't seem to get a handle on the algae issue. The tank will ultimately continue to have an algae bloom regardless of cleaning it out. It's usually clean with no algae for a week or less, and then it crops back up and begins to take over. I've been having the problem for a long while now. The substrate in the tank is gravel, and he did have a turtle cave as well as a live plant, but when I continued cleaning out the tank and algae kept returning, I assumed I had left remnants somewhere on them despite thorough cleaning. I completely replaced the gravel and placed a new cave ornament and moss ball in the tank. I also add one drop of algae controller to the tank. It is heated and is usually around 82-84 F. It has a filter but then after the last cleaning I worried it was the filter's tube (not sure what it would be called... hard to clean!) so I removed it... still algae. Any help would be appreciated as Max is healthy and happy despite his frequent green dwellings...!

Thanks so much!

Hello all! I've been trying to do some research here in the forum about algae instead of having people post answers to questions that have already been asked, but each case is unique and different so I decided just to post my story anyway.

I have had a betta fish for a little less than a year. He does well and is a happy fish! However, I can't seem to get a handle on the algae issue. The tank will ultimately continue to have an algae bloom regardless of cleaning it out. It's usually clean with no algae for a week or less, and then it crops back up and begins to take over. I've been having the problem for a long while now. The substrate in the tank is gravel, and he did have a turtle cave as well as a live plant, but when I continued cleaning out the tank and algae kept returning, I assumed I had left remnants somewhere on them despite thorough cleaning. I completely replaced the gravel and placed a new cave ornament and moss ball in the tank. I also add one drop of algae controller to the tank. It is heated and is usually around 82-84 F. It has a filter but then after the last cleaning I worried it was the filter's tube (not sure what it would be called... hard to clean!) so I removed it... still algae. Any help would be appreciated as Max is healthy and happy despite his frequent green dwellings...!

Thanks so much!
I'm not too knowledgable about fishkeeping but I just thought I might reply to your post, and hopefully help you out a bit :)
Some possibilities that may be causing the algae:
- algae grow more in warm water. I would suggest turning your temperature down to 77 F. This is a good temperature for your betta too, as you shouldn't keep the water higher than 80 F.
- Is your tank near a window? Are there any sources of bright light shining on the tank?

I'm not too knowledgable about fishkeeping but I just thought I might reply to your post, and hopefully help you out a bit :)
Some possibilities that may be causing the algae:
- algae grow more in warm water. I would suggest turning your temperature down to 77 F. This is a good temperature for your betta too, as you shouldn't keep the water higher than 80 F.
- Is your tank near a window? Are there any sources of bright light shining on the tank?

Hi! Thanks for the reply - sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been out of town :) The tank is relatively close to the window but the light doesn't shine directly into the tank. There are blinds on the window although I'm not sure how much that helps... I also wasn't sure how much of a difference the light would make, so I've never moved it. Also, if I have a regular 7.5 watt heater in the tank, how would I be able to control how warm it gets? Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for the reply - sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been out of town :) The tank is relatively close to the window but the light doesn't shine directly into the tank. There are blinds on the window although I'm not sure how much that helps... I also wasn't sure how much of a difference the light would make, so I've never moved it. Also, if I have a regular 7.5 watt heater in the tank, how would I be able to control how warm it gets? Thanks!
What size tank is it? What heater do you have? In your first message did you say that you took out the filter? The heater should let you control the temperature and keep it steady. My heater for my 20 gallon has a knob that you move to adjust the temperature to whatever you need. The heater that I have in my 10 gallon betta tank is the Top Fin betta heater, and it automatically sets the temperature to 77 degrees. If your tank is at least 10 gallons, you could get a nerite snail or mystery snail.

Hello!

There is no way of killing all algae by cleaning out your tank. You will always have some spores in the air or water and if conditions are right they will simply start growing. Every time you clean out your tank you destroy all biology and the cycle starts new. The only thing which can compete with algae are life plants and also some snails and shrimps might eat them too. Maybe difficult in a beta tank. Some algae might in fact be good for the biology of your tank. A tank is not a sterile thing ;) But all needs some patience. Normally a tank goes through an initial algae bloom, but as soon as the plants catch up, algae will retreat. What kind of lighting do you have? Too much is a very common reason for algae blooms. Regular water changes (once a week 50%) are also mandatory in combating algae.

What size tank is it? What heater do you have? In your first message did you say that you took out the filter? The heater should let you control the temperature and keep it steady. My heater for my 20 gallon has a knob that you move to adjust the temperature to whatever you need. The heater that I have in my 10 gallon betta tank is the Top Fin betta heater, and it automatically sets the temperature to 77 degrees. If your tank is at least 10 gallons, you could get a nerite snail or mystery snail.
The tank is 2.5 gallon. I took the filter out initially because I could not get it clean enough. The little detachable clear part at the bottom is just so difficult to clean. Currently I have cleaned it and it is back in the tank. The heater is only a 7.5 watt and it doesn't let you control the temperature, but I did check my thermometer and the tank is only around 78-79 F. I did move it to a less lighted area, so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the help!

Hello!

There is no way of killing all algae by cleaning out your tank. You will always have some spores in the air or water and if conditions are right they will simply start growing. Every time you clean out your tank you destroy all biology and the cycle starts new. The only thing which can compete with algae are life plants and also some snails and shrimps might eat them too. Maybe difficult in a beta tank. Some algae might in fact be good for the biology of your tank. A tank is not a sterile thing ;) But all needs some patience. Normally a tank goes through an initial algae bloom, but as soon as the plants catch up, algae will retreat. What kind of lighting do you have? Too much is a very common reason for algae blooms. Regular water changes (once a week 50%) are also mandatory in combating algae.

Ah, okay! That makes me feel better. I have had live plants in the past, and they would control the algae for a small amount of time and then suddenly the algae would completely overtake the tank. I've had one plant actually die being in the tank even after the algae was removed. I currently have a moss ball in the tank. I don't use a light in the tank, but the tank is relatively close to a window with blinds. I don't have another spot that is suitable for the tank to go, so any suggestions on limiting the light that enters the tank? For now I do have it placed in another spot as an 'experiment' but I've had to do some rearranging to keep it there, so it'll have to go back to it's original spot. Thanks for the response!

Of course you have to chose the right plants for your conditions not all will manage. Try some floating plants! I also have very good results with java moss or Najas guadalupensis (najas grass, guppy grass, southern waternymph or common water nymph) in a tank directly at the window without any additional lighting or filter. Your betta will love them too. But snails are important too.

Of course you have to chose the right plants for your conditions not all will manage. Try some floating plants! I also have very good results with java moss or Najas guadalupensis (najas grass, guppy grass, southern waternymph or common water nymph) in a tank directly at the window without any additional lighting or filter. Your betta will love them too. But snails are important too.
I love the look of floating plants! Do you suggest purchasing online? I would like to have a snail but have no idea about that either...may be my next post. Thanks again for all the help!

I love the look of floating plants! Do you suggest purchasing online? I would like to have a snail but have no idea about that either...may be my next post. Thanks again for all the help!
2.5 gallons is a little small for both the snail and betta. Mystery snails can get kind of big. Were you considering a mystery or nerite snail? My nerite snails always climb out of the tank, I don't know if all nerite snails do this. My mystery snails stays in the tank, though, with no lid. You could upgrade to a 5-10 gallon tank and get a snail, or you could get some shrimp for the 2.5 gallon.

2.5 gallons is a little small for both the snail and betta. Mystery snails can get kind of big. Were you considering a mystery or nerite snail? My nerite snails always climb out of the tank, I don't know if all nerite snails do this. My mystery snails stays in the tank, though, with no lid. You could upgrade to a 5-10 gallon tank and get a snail, or you could get some shrimp for the 2.5 gallon.
I heard that mystery snails were big so I was probably thinking the nerite. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 5 gallon tank when I move into my apartment in the fall. There isn't space for it here but would be there, so I could get a snail then. If that doesn't work out then I'll go with the shrimp. Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back