Betta "Finny" holding on. Please help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettafriend

Reaction score
Betta has swelling in belly for two months.. Began with lump "three" months ago.. Lives alone in filtered, cycled, heated, ten gallon.. Water parameters are excellent. 0 ammonia. O nitrites. 5ppm nitrates. After weekly 50% water changes with dechlorinated water, matched to original water temp "plus one degees, minus o degrees difference to original. " he eats heartily. Appetite always good. Feeding about 10 hikari gold betta pellets. Or equivalent of flakes. And at least once or twice weekly blanched pea.. Please advise regarding persistent swelling of tummy and reduced activity. Swelling is hurting little guy
20170411_142237.jpg
20170411_142230.jpg

Maybe cut out feeding him for a couple of days to see if that helps, other than that no ideas. Hope he gets better

You want advice on not feeding him?

Ok I will be brutally honest.

You are killing him by feeding him so much, His belly is swollen from overfeeding he will get SBD and die if you don't change your habits. At most that fish should have 4 maybe 5 pellets a day NOT 15,

The lump on his side looks like a tumor.

I agree feeding your betta 10 pellets is too much I'm afraid, is this 10 pellets per day in one go? I only feed mine around 3-4 every morning which is fine, remember they swell in water, put 10 pellets in a cup of water and see how much they swell, twice if not three times the size, this will be in your bettas stomach.
Older bettas such as yours are more prone to constipation so you really need to watch his food intake, don't feed for a few days and watch to see if the swelling goes down, don't worry he will be fine without food for a bit, if not he may also have a tumour or something else going on but over feeding will make it worse so you must cut down, I hope he gets better for you.

OP; I appreciate you're worried about your fish, but it's not helpful to the smooth running of the forum to have multiple threads on the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back