Betta Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kraabi

Reaction score
I plan on getting a Ten gallon tank with a divider for two Betta fish. What filter should I get that won’t hurt it’s fins or be too strong? Also, any heaters you’d recommend? I don’t like the tanks they are currently in, so I want to switch them to this ASAP .

Many tanks will come with a filter. If you want to reduce the strength of the flow then you can put a cylindrical filter sponge over the outlet.

Are you keeping the tanks that they are already in? If not then you can just use one the existing filters and heaters.

You would only need a 50W heater for 10 gallons, although the price difference between 50W and 100W is pennies. It will get to temperature faster but obviously be a bit longer. Any of the name brands will do. I have a cheap Amazon special that is perfectly fine though.

Last edited:
If you have 2 male Bettas in a tank with a divider, make sure the divider is black and the fish can't see through it. Bettas kept in a constant state of aggression (by always seeing each other) die prematurely from stress.

If you want your Bettas to see each other and show off, then have 2 tanks next to each other and put a piece of black card between the tanks. Remove the card for about 10-15 minutes once or twice a week and then put the card back. The fish will show off and display and after the card has been replaced, the fish will strut around thinking they drove the intruder away. :)

I am not a fan of divided tanks and shared filtration, If one fish gets sick they both do then you need a hospital tank, Even with dividers the fish can sense each other. I find it much simpler to keep 1 betta in one tank.

Now having said that, this is the best way to divide a tank.

Image is not mine, full credit to owner and TFK.
avlisnU.jpg

Use 2 perforated dividers and put the heater and filter in between them. If you wanted you could use a plant to hide the heater and filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back