Betta Caves

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Logitech

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does everyone here that owns a betta, have a 'cave' like structure in their betta tanks? Because most people say bettas are really fond of caves and like the privacy given to them. :dunno:

I used to have a small pot in with my Betta but he never went in there..so I'm not sure. Maybe it just depends on the Betta.

Right now in my Betta bowl I have rocks on the bottom...and 1 larger rock in the center and then about 10 pieces of long live plants for him to rest on.

here is my Ryan just outside his cave
1017.jpg

The cave is made by Exo terra and is for reptiles
buy here this is the cheapest i have found them. Mine is the medium one.

Wow Danio your Betta tank looks amazing!! I want to get a 5 gallon tank and set it up just for my Betta. I know people say Bettas are happy in small tanks but I've always felt sorry for mine lol. He is currently in a 1.5 gallon bowl.

I'd love to get one of those caves!!!! They look sooo cool!!! :cool:

Hi Logitech :)

I breed cory cats which are schooling fish who love to spend time in their caves. I also keep bettas in some of their tanks, and it's not unusual for me to find them in the caves too.

It's so cute to see them in there completely surrounded by the corys. :thumbs:

Elisabeth83 said:
Wow Danio your Betta tank looks amazing!! I want to get a 5 gallon tank and set it up just for my Betta. I know people say Bettas are happy in small tanks but I've always felt sorry for mine lol. He is currently in a 1.5 gallon bowl.

I'd love to get one of those caves!!!! They look sooo cool!!! :cool:
Thanks Elizabeth,
however he is in a four foot community tank. :D
here is my post about it

oohhh...I'm glad to know it's normal then. :D I built a cave in my friend's tank for her cories and the betta claimed it for his own, I was worried that he had an identity crisis and thought he was a cory :D

i dont have any caves for my bettas but i do build them little "houses" out of rocks - 2 rocks as the sides and one as the roof (know what i mean?) :)
Some of my guys really seem to like these little "houses" and some other just ignor them totally. I also find they are helpful if you have a filter as they give your betta place to rest outside of the current.
i just purchased a bunch of pots for the female tanks im setting up as i've heard that its important to provide the girls with good hiding spots incase aggression gets to be too much. :X
i really like the cave you've got danio - maybe i can sweet talk my sister into letting me use some of her extra reptile hides as caves in my tank... :p

I definitely think it depends on the fish. I usually give mine a little clay pot, at least a first, to see if they like it. I have a couple who actually sleep in their pots, or use them as a "refuge" when startled. It's pretty cute, and I think they really appreciate them. :nod:

Most reactions

Back