Betta Breeding Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kSong

Reaction score
I bred my betta three times now and the three batch of frys that hatched my betta ate them all. Any idea why he ate them? Help.

A bit of information would help getting you a good answer. What tank size, type of filtration, temperature, etc.
At what point is he eating them? When they are still eggs, wigglers or free swimming? It's hard to say why he's eating them when we have no information.
I've had one male who ate fry regardless of good or bad conditions. I've had another male eat them because he apparently didn't like it when I decided to vacuum the the room his tank was in.
Just for my own curiosity, what fin types and color did you breed and how old are the parents?

I bred my betta three times now and the three batch of frys that hatched my betta ate them all. Any idea why he ate them? Help.
It is not uncommon for fish parents to eat fry/eggs. Its just an odd part of their nature. If the fry are hatching that's a good sign, but I'd remove the betta to a separate tank or place the fry in a separate tank so they can't be eaten. Just be sure that the filter in the new tanks doesn't suck up the fry!

I had him in a 5 gal tank, temp at 80 F, I don't have a filter in it because I was told a sponge filter shouldn't be used until they are free swimming. He starts eating them when the frys are wigglers. I'm not sure how old he is, I bought him at petco. The female is a regular tail she's blue. My male is a dark red king betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he just might be the baby-eater type :/ Other than doing as FroFro said, there isn't much you can do to stop him.

Def would retire him/remove babies just before the wriggle stage if he has done it 3 times, though you don't mention if you conditioned him before breeding or whether you are feeding him whilst he is caring for them. Some breeders choose not to and others do, some say feeding whilst they have fry encourages them to eat them and others say not feeding does. I have done both and not seen any real difference, though I prefer to feed, I guess the wriggle for him is just proving too much if he was good until then.

The first time I didn't feed him and the second time I didn't. He still eats his frys...third round I fed him here and there but still eats his frys! It's so frustrating. I don't know what's wrong maybe he's just a fry eater.

The first time I didn't feed him and the second time I didn't. He still eats his frys...third round I fed him here and there but still eats his frys! It's so frustrating. I don't know what's wrong maybe he's just a fry eater.

You will just need to separate the fry from daddy betta :\

It's not uncommon for breeders to need to remove fry from the parents, as they can eat them as eggs or just hatched.

Does it help if I add Indian almond? I read forums about it and it says it helps with breeding but I'm not sure if it works or if it'll prevent him from eating his wigglers...

Most reactions

trending

Back