Betta behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kerryjoy

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently set up a new tank, it's a starter tank for his first few months which is 2.6 gallons Fluval nano (10 litres) added a betta. The first week he was doing fine creeping around his tank being cheeky and begging for food or just coming to see me! The last week he has been pacing up and down the tank sides back and fourth, seems all exited but he can do this for hours! There's nothing physically wrong with him, he's eating, ph is fine, low flow pump etc. Plenty of room and plants in the tank that used to keep him busy. So I have no idea if this is good or bad behaviour?! I tested the water 5 days ago and ph is fine. Maybe he likes his reflection but there's no way he can never not see himself, the light is a low light not high. He has only been in this tank for 2 weeks now and was small when I have got him, he seems a little bigger already I swear!!

If anyone has any ideas be much appreciated, I do have a video but doesn't load.
I want the best for the little fella and to make sure he is ok :)

Thanks Kerry

Bettas should have at least a 5 gallon tank :l
Also other than that I don't think you told us what the problem was...

The last week he has been pacing up and down the tank sides back and fourth
Its called glass surfing he should get over it.

I tested the water 5 days ago and ph is fine.

The PH is not as important as ammonia nitrite and nitrate. Do you have a kit that tests ammonia etc?

Can you post a photo of your tank please?

Bettas should have at least a 5 gallon tank :l
Also other than that I don't think you told us what the problem was...

Hello
I did a lot of research before I got this tank, and this size was the minimum size that I could get first for a betta.

The problem is that he paces back and fourth for hours on the side of the tank....or 'surfing'.

Thank you for your reply. I'm hoping it's something he will get bored of like you say.

I will test the water again tonight, this is the tank picture...
he plays in the cave and made bubble nests until this surfing obsession!!

IMG_0132.JPG

The PH is not as important as ammonia nitrite and nitrate. Do you have a kit that tests ammonia etc?

Nice looking tank a few more plants including some floating plants would be great and floating plants help cut down the light in the tank.

Some questions.
Was the tank cycled before adding the fish?
How often do you change water?
What chemicals do you add to the tank?
What how often and how much do you feed him?

Nice looking tank a few more plants including some floating plants would be great and floating plants help cut down the light in the tank.

Some questions.
Was the tank cycled before adding the fish?
How often do you change water?
What chemicals do you add to the tank?
What how often and how much do you feed him?

Thank you, It's my first planting tank.

Regarding the floating plants, what are your suggestions pls? For a tank my size?

I added cherry shrimp to cycle the tank prior to adding him in, I'm not sure if my test at home tests ammonia so I brought some today and will rest for ammonia tonight....

I am changing the water 1 to 2 times a week 25% water change.

I feed him once a day when I'm home from work with pellets which he loves, but only a few, he would eat more if he could as he's so greedy! but I know you have to be careful , Is this correct?

Thank you for all advice so far

Attachments

• IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
Regarding the floating plants, what are your suggestions pls? For a tank my size?

Some Water sprite will do.

I feed him once a day when I'm home from work with pellets which he loves, but only a few, he would eat more if he could as he's so greedy! but I know you have to be careful , Is this correct?

Oh yes Bettas are little pigs when I comes to food.

I am changing the water 1 to 2 times a week 25% water change.

Just keep an eye on the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels.

I added cherry shrimp to cycle the tank prior to adding him in, I'm not sure if my test at home tests ammonia so I brought some today and will rest for ammonia tonight....

I would guess that your tank was not cycled.

What type of water conditioner do you use.

Thank you, will do

I used the Water conditioner in the picture

IMG_0194.JPG

I also used a biological enhancer ...Is this good stuff?

I made a water change tonight, my ammonia was a little high but not the worst.
Regular water changes will help this out?

Some Water sprite will do.

Oh yes Bettas are little pigs when I comes to food.

Just keep an eye on the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels.

I would guess that your tank was not cycled.

What type of water conditioner do you use.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
The Fluval stuff is fine

I also used a biological enhancer ...Is this good stuff?
No idea, Unless you tell us the brand.

my ammonia was a little high but not the worst.
The only safe level for Ammonia is zero same for Nitrites and Nitrates should be as low under 10 IMO.
The only way to achieve this is with water changes now if that means testing the water daily and doing a 50% water change then thats what you have to do, Your tank is not cycled so you have to keep a close eye on the water conditions.

Heres some light reading.
Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!

Rescuing A Fish In Cycle Gone Wild - Part I

Rescuing A Fish In Cycle Gone Wild - Part Il

Ask Questions About Cycling

Sorry I thought I attached the pic doh I'll attach it now

I obviously mixed up my ph/nitrate tests and not for ammonia and made a boo boo :(

Pet shop said by adding the shrimp for a week or so will start the cycle before adding fish :/

Thanks for the info, I will be testing the water every day now and making the appropriate water changes...see how it goes, and post back. I will defiantly be keeping a close eye!!IMG_0195.JPG
Should I still be using this once a week?

The Fluval stuff is fine

No idea, Unless you tell us the brand.

The only safe level for Ammonia is zero same for Nitrites and Nitrates should be as low under 10 IMO.
The only way to achieve this is with water changes now if that means testing the water daily and doing a 50% water change then thats what you have to do, Your tank is not cycled so you have to keep a close eye on the water conditions.

Heres some light reading.
Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!

Rescuing A Fish In Cycle Gone Wild - Part I

Rescuing A Fish In Cycle Gone Wild - Part Il

Ask Questions About Cycling

Pet shop said by adding the shrimp for a week or so will start the cycle before adding fish :/
Petshop lied to you.

Should I still be using this once a week?

Fluval Biological Enhancer is a responsive biological aquarium supplement that immediately inoculates aquarium water with a powerful team of beneficial bacteria, providing a safe biological habitat for your fish.

It goes to work fast, releasing massive amounts of beneficial bacteria that eliminate toxic ammonia and nitrites while creating a biologically well-balanced aquarium for healthy fish to thrive.
http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A8346-biological-enhancer/

I have never heard of this stuff but IMO its rubbish

biological aquarium supplement that immediately inoculates aquarium water with a powerful team of beneficial bacteria,

Really?

Oh :/ should I stop using this?
Going to read the articles you sent later on to do with my ammonia in the water

Quite bad when you can't even trust your own Aquatic centre !!!

Petshop lied to you.

I have never heard of this stuff but IMO its rubbish

Really?

Like I said its just my opinion.

IMG_0225.PNG
On another matter, I have posted about this elsewhere but I know that you have your own betta.

Does this top fin look healthy to you or not? Was the same when I purchased him 2 2weeks ago ...he's happy and healthy other wise, I just inspected him yesterday and managed to get a photo, checking that it's not a desease? Do you have any knowledge in this area pls?

Like I said its just my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back