Betta and Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ErikM1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a 75L tank which already had Siamese algae eaters, Cardinal Tetra’s, Otocinclus, Cherry Barbs and a female Betta in there. They all got along great.

Yesterday I got 2 female Dwarf Gourami to add to the tank and I explicitly asked if they could get along with the rest of the tank having read that it sometimes causes trouble. The store said seeing how they were all females they should be fine.

Turns out the female Betta is a bit of a bully and is constantly chasing the DG’s. After about an hour I took the Betta out and put her in a backup isolation tank.

The question now is, was I too quick to take her out? How much time should I allow to tell if it’s going to work or not? I would really love for the Betta to go back in the main tank as she makes a lovely addition and really finishes the tank off. But I guess the DG’s would die from the stress if they do keep being chased right?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Labyrinth fishes (Gouramis and Bettas) should never be kept together because they are territorial and will fight.

By having the Betta in the tank and adding the gouramis, you introduced 2 new Labyrinth fish into the Betta's territory and she was not happy about it.

If you want to try and keep them together, you add all the fish at the same time so they can all settle in together. If you want to try the Betta gourami combination, remove the gouramis and Betta and rearrange the tank. Add lots of floating plants (Water Sprite is the best), and then introduce the Betta and gouramis at the same time. Monitor them and if there is anymore aggression, separate them.

I honestly would not recommend ever putting a gourami and a betta together. Gourami's carry quite a lot of sicknesses which can be fatal to a betta. I would either bring the gouramis back or put the betta in a new tank.

Thanks! I tried adding them again after having taken all of them out of the tank but they went straight back at it. Brought the Gourami's back to the store and got a few Tetra's to replace them. Everything is peaceful again.

Glad to hear it!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back