Best way to transfer fish to another tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™m thinking of moving my guppy into a tank of his own seen as though his tails been nipped by the other fish and itā€™s just getting worse. The fish also appears to hide in one corner of the tank behind a plant and doesnā€™t move unless chased by another fish. I do not want the stress to kill him.

I did want to avoid this and will try my best to do so if I can because I am aware a whole cycle will start again with a different media and filter. My question is if I do consider setting up his own 5 gallon while his tail heals, whatā€™s the best way to move him? Iā€™ve always used a plastic cup and netted the fish into it. Letting this float in the new tank introducing water and then tipping the cup and allowing the fish to swim out.

Iā€™m not saying this is the correct way, but itā€™s worked in the past. Iā€™d also like to know how long to have the tank set up before adding him in. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
Set up the new tank with gravel ornaments, filter, etc.
Half fill the new tank with water from his current tank.
Scoop him out and drop him in the new tank.
Top up new tank with dechlorinated water.

I agree with Colin. Also move a little of the filter media from the existing tank over to the new tank filter to speed up cycling process. Moving some of the substrate too will help. Use Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator until tank is cycled and test daily.

Set up the new tank with gravel ornaments, filter, etc.
Half fill the new tank with water from his current tank.
Scoop him out and drop him in the new tank.
Top up new tank with dechlorinated water.
Thanks for your reply. Iā€™m best of moving him while doing a water change in my 10g then, Iā€™ve taken note :book:

Your method is the same that my LFS recommend which is to use half the old tank water. Iā€™ll look at moving him over the weekend.

I agree with Colin. Also move a little of the filter media from the existing tank over to the new tank filter to speed up cycling process. Moving some of the substrate too will help. Use Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator until tank is cycled and test daily.
Thanks for your reply. You are correct, an ideal outcome would be to use some of the old media to prevent the cycle from starting again. I agree that removing some of the old gravel isnā€™t such a bad idea, and I plan to do this. Would you advice I donā€™t move him? I thought I was doing the right thing.

Unfortunately I was advised by Colin on a different thread that removing any media from my filter now could mess the cycle up because my tanks only just about stabilising.

I asked about removing some of my media from my filter so I could add activated carbon. I left it on top of my air stone ornament in the end, Iā€™ll be removing this in another week.

No, Colin is correct. I didnā€™t realize the other tank was new. You may want to add a bottle of Dr. Timā€™s One and Only. It will give a quick cycle. If you canā€™t order that in time, then my second choice would be Tetra Safe Start+. Good luck!

I didnā€™t even look to see who was posting this. You know what to do, Girl! :)

No, Colin is correct. I didnā€™t realize the other tank was new. You may want to add a bottle of Dr. Timā€™s One and Only. It will give a quick cycle. If you canā€™t order that in time, then my second choice would be Tetra Safe Start+. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply! Is the Dr. Tims One and and Only better than safe start? I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever heard of it. From what Iā€™ve gathered after browsing the internet they do sell this in the UK. Iā€™d have to wait for delivery though which could delay things a bit.

Iā€™ve got a bottle of safe start to hand. Thanks for your help itā€™s appreciated :)

Last edited:
I didnā€™t even look to see who was posting this. You know what to do, Girl! :)
Aww thank you! I like to think Iā€™m learning with the right help! I will need to move a shelf before setting the tank up because access isnā€™t very good at the moment. Looks like a DIY job! This weekend should be interesting/eventful... :blink:

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! Is the Dr. Tims One and and Only better than safe start? I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever heard of it. From what Iā€™ve gathered after browsing the internet they do sell this in the UK. Iā€™d have to wait for delivery though which could delay things a bit. Iā€™ve got a bottle of safe start to hand. Thanks for your help itā€™s appreciated :)

In the situation here, SafeStart is fine. One guppy will never produce sufficient ammonia to kill itself in a 5g tank with SafeStart. If you toss in a floating plant, even better.

In the situation here, SafeStart is fine. One guppy will never produce sufficient ammonia to kill itself in a 5g tank with SafeStart. If you toss in a floating plant, even better.
Thank you for your reply Byron. Floating plants are a little more difficult to find but I do plan on adding one or two live plants in to create a natural environment for him. Iā€™m glad safe start will be enough. Thanks for your help.

Since you have the Safe Start, go with it. The other just achieves a faster cycle.

Since you have the Safe Start, go with it. The other just achieves a faster cycle.
Update guys - Iā€™ve finally got all my new equipment and media together just for my little guy to be left alone now!

Instead the fish are chasing each other and leaving him alone. This has left me confused!

Do I still move him into quarantine today?

HELP!

Picture of my guppy is attached below, I tried to get one as good as I can. Any advice would really be grateful right now. I have a video but it isnā€™t allowing me to upload this because the file is too large. Thanks.

Attachments

• EC9AB32F-24C9-42A4-8F59-95A51D1F2F4C.jpeg
    EC9AB32F-24C9-42A4-8F59-95A51D1F2F4C.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 129
  • A9E0C7A4-855F-4B6D-B76D-BA7BFF886D7A.jpeg
    A9E0C7A4-855F-4B6D-B76D-BA7BFF886D7A.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
If you have something that he can hide in you can leave him in and keep watching closely. If it starts again then move him over. Keep us posted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back