Best way to remove algae of rocks in tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have small green tufts of algae growing on a rock in my tank. What would be the best way to remove it?

The one approach is to basically just pull it off. Beyond that would require algicide or using a styring to apply a sterilizing agent to the alga. This could unfortunatlately harm or kill the fish if not done carefully. The best way is to remove the rock and sterilize it with vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or even iodine or bleach. in a sink After doing that scrub off the dead algae and then reins off the rock several times to insure none of the sterilizing agent is left. then put it back in the tank.

Okay thanks will probrably try to take the rock out and scrub it.

Okay thanks will probrably try to take the rock out and scrub it.
It's very important you don't use soap or other chemicals that might leave residue. Diluted bleach is your best bet because basic bleach (nothing scented or the like) can be rinsed off and any remaining traces can be neutralized with water conditioner. Dawn dish soap or pinesol for example not so much.

Hi

Before trying to remove it, I think we need to figure out what's causing it, Eg too much light, too many nutrients ETC.

Can you please tell us about your tank maintenance, water changes, filtration, type of fish you have and how many fish, size of tank, what type of decorations, plants, how long has the tank been running?

It's very important you don't use soap or other chemicals that might leave residue. Diluted bleach is your best bet because basic bleach (nothing scented or the like) can be rinsed off and any remaining traces can be neutralized with water conditioner. Dawn dish soap or pinesol for example not so much.
I forgot to mention but was planning on just trying with water first.
Hi

Before trying to remove it, I think we need to figure out what's causing it, Eg too much light, too many nutrients ETC.

Can you please tell us about your tank maintenance, water changes, filtration, type of fish you have and how many fish, size of tank, what type of decorations, plants, how long has the tank been running?

Tank maintenance: filtration marine land bio wheel( will get size when I get home) it is the one that comes with the 20 gallon starter kit 20% water change weekly
Fish: 4 peppered cories, honey gournami, 20 neons
Tank size: 20 gallons
Decorations: just this rock with live plants, I have just started fertilizing but this algae was around before I started
The tank has been running since the start of July.
This algae has not popped up suddenly it has showed up over a long time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back