Best way to clean filter Fluval U1

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™m curious as to how others clean their filters and media. My tank is cycling. I havenā€™t yet done mine since set up, and need to as my filter may be clogging up. The flow is not as strong as it used to be at all when it was first set up I was worried because it was too strong. This filter used to blow my fishes all around the tank. I use the Fluval U1 at the moment. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Normally I don't recommend cleaning power filters until they have finished cycling. However, if the filter flow has been reduced, then clean it.

Turn the filter off at the power point and unplug it. Remove the filter from the tank and put it in a clean fish bucket. Open the case up and remove the filter media (sponge, ceramic beads, etc).

Get a fish bucket and half fill it with tank water. Squeeze the filter sponges out in the bucket of tank water. Wash the other filter media in the bucket of tank water too. If you have carbon (black granulated substance) then throw it away and don't bother replacing it. Just put a sponge in its place.
When the sponge and other filter media are clean, put them in the aquarium.

The motor should have a plastic cover that holds the impellor in place. The impellor is a magnet with some plastic blades attached to one end. This needs to be taken out and cleaned under tap water.
The impellor should have a steel rod/ shaft that runs through the middle of it. On either end of the steel shaft there is usually a rubber grommet that stops the impellor coming off the shaft. Some models have a small plastic washed under the rubber grommet. Be careful not to lose these bits. They are small and fiddly so be careful.

Once you have removed the impellor assembly and cleaned it, you clean the inside of the motor when the impellor sits. Just wash this under tap water. Don't worry about water getting into the electrical components of the motor because they seal them up in a resin that makes them water proof.

When everything has been cleaned, you put the impellor back in the motor and put the cover back on. Put the filter media that is in the tank, back in the filter case. Connect it all up and put it in the tank. Dry your hands and the plug before plugging the filter back into the power socket. Turn the power on and watch the fish freak out because water is going everywhere. :)

I guess I'm confused....the filter used to blow the fish around the tank and it's just/still cycling???? So this is a fish in cycle?! If so, it can be really hard on the livestock. I'd also be really curious as to how/why the flow has decreased.
Setting the above aside, Colin_T's cleaning advice is good.
------
If/when you resolve the flow, it sounds like you need a baffle so as not to stress the fish (how would you feel if forced to run 24/7?!).

Normally I don't recommend cleaning power filters until they have finished cycling. However, if the filter flow has been reduced, then clean it.

Turn the filter off at the power point and unplug it. Remove the filter from the tank and put it in a clean fish bucket. Open the case up and remove the filter media (sponge, ceramic beads, etc).

Get a fish bucket and half fill it with tank water. Squeeze the filter sponges out in the bucket of tank water. Wash the other filter media in the bucket of tank water too. If you have carbon (black granulated substance) then throw it away and don't bother replacing it. Just put a sponge in its place.
When the sponge and other filter media are clean, put them in the aquarium.

The motor should have a plastic cover that holds the impellor in place. The impellor is a magnet with some plastic blades attached to one end. This needs to be taken out and cleaned under tap water.
The impellor should have a steel rod/ shaft that runs through the middle of it. On either end of the steel shaft there is usually a rubber grommet that stops the impellor coming off the shaft. Some models have a small plastic washed under the rubber grommet. Be careful not to lose these bits. They are small and fiddly so be careful.

Once you have removed the impellor assembly and cleaned it, you clean the inside of the motor when the impellor sits. Just wash this under tap water. Don't worry about water getting into the electrical components of the motor because they seal them up in a resin that makes them water proof.

When everything has been cleaned, you put the impellor back in the motor and put the cover back on. Put the filter media that is in the tank, back in the filter case. Connect it all up and put it in the tank. Dry your hands and the plug before plugging the filter back into the power socket. Turn the power on and watch the fish freak out because water is going everywhere. :)

Many thanks for the advice. Iā€™ll follow the process through :)

Last edited:
I guess I'm confused....the filter used to blow the fish around the tank and it's just/still cycling???? So this is a fish in cycle?! If so, it can be really hard on the livestock. I'd also be really curious as to how/why the flow has decreased.
Setting the above aside, Colin_T's cleaning advice is good.
------
If/when you resolve the flow, it sounds like you need a baffle so as not to stress the fish (how would you feel if forced to run 24/7?!).

The tank is coming towards the end of cycling as ammonia has hardly shown for a while now. Yes this is a fish in cycle, I understand how harsh this can be on the fish. I have maintained frequent water changes and tested the water. I am also fully aware of the nitrogen cycle. This filter was recommended by another member of the forum. The flow rate is controllable and can be adjusted however even at its lowest flow rate it was still strong. I did seek advice on this too as I was worried about the flow and not wanting the fish to feel like they were feeling the same way as a human would being made to ā€œrun for 24/7ā€. I would never intentionally want this to happen. Iā€™m unsure as to why the flow rate has reduced it may be that the filter is faulty. The filter would only move them around when they got very close to it and this fault if thatā€™s what it is may not be such a bad thing. Iā€™ve struggled to find the perfect filter for my tank, the one that came with it was useless. I never even bothered to try it, itā€™s still lying around in its box. Hope this makes more sense.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back