Best substrate live planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TamarackTTC

Reaction score
I'm starting a new live planted tank and want to choose the right substrate. What do ya'll use and what have you had success with?

The tank is empty now without any water in it.

Tank specs:
55g long
Coralife T5HO light
Fluval 305 canister filter
mopani wood
stocking with mixed variety of Tetras
local water hardness is 7.2

I have heard ADA Aquasoil Amazonia coupled with ADA Powersand works great. I recently bought 18liters for my 30 gallon. (you won't need 18 for a 30gal just I was stupid enough to allow my cat near it and she thought it was kitty litter). I think for a 55 long, 18liters SHOULD do the job. But, that is approx. 130$, so it's a bit pricey.

Thanks Hyr. Do you know what the difference or pros/cons of Aquasoil vs. the Powersand?

Thanks Hyr. Do you know what the difference or pros/cons of Aquasoil vs. the Powersand?
Generally, people will put powersand underneath the aquasoil, which provides it with a lot more nutrients. Powersand is not a singular substrate, from what I know. You don't need powersand (although it provides many nutrients like BACTER 100) for the aquasoil BUT you do need aquasoil if you have powersand.
Pros:
  • High Nutrients (one of the only substrates that include almost all KEY nutrients)
  • Lasts a long time (Durable)
  • Holds together well
Cons:
  • Not washable
  • Messy (when wet)
  • May leech ammonia in the first month, but this is common for many substrates (just do large waterchanges every week, and cycle your tank)
Hopefully that helps you come to your conclusion! If this isn't in your budget I've heard that Fluval Stratum does work, although it's a bit uglier, it's cheaper, and it has some nutrients; not nearly as many however. *Also Fluval Stratum is known to not leech ammonia.
Sincerely, Hyr.

I second the fluval stratum its good stuff but ugly as you say haha

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

What about the Seachem products like Seachem Fluorite? Any experience with that or is it just the same thing but a different brand? Thanks ya'll

What about the Seachem products like Seachem Fluorite? Any experience with that or is it just the same thing but a different brand? Thanks ya'll
I haven't had experience with Seachem Fluorite, but from what I've heard, (friends and such) is that while it looks nice, and cost isn't much of an issue, they've encountered magnetic pieces that scratched the glass, not only that, but it has few nutrients.

Seachem's Flourite and the very similar Eco-Complete are both a waste of money, and they carry risks for fish. I had the Flourite, and it devastated my cories that had to be removed. I also found no plant nutrient value at all, as I had to use substrate tabs and liquid fertilizer the same as in tanks with plain inert sand and gravel. Waste of money.

I have not bothered with the ADA or similar, but I would suggest that these may not be necessary. I suppose they may have benefits in high-tech systems, but the possible risks may not warrant even these. I have 8 planted tanks, and have had live plants in my tanks for over two decades, with inert gravel or sand as the substrate. I use only play sand now, as it has no issues for any fish, all plants will grow well in it, and there are no side issues like ammonia. The benefit of the substrate is as a source of decomposing organics, and this will rapidly develop with inert sand just as well.

You will want a good covering of floating plants, with T5 HO lighting which is very bright, especially for forest fish like the tetras.

Byron.

Seachem's Flourite and the very similar Eco-Complete are both a waste of money, and they carry risks for fish. I had the Flourite, and it devastated my cories that had to be removed. I also found no plant nutrient value at all, as I had to use substrate tabs and liquid fertilizer the same as in tanks with plain inert sand and gravel. Waste of money.

I have not bothered with the ADA or similar, but I would suggest that these may not be necessary. I suppose they may have benefits in high-tech systems, but the possible risks may not warrant even these. I have 8 planted tanks, and have had live plants in my tanks for over two decades, with inert gravel or sand as the substrate. I use only play sand now, as it has no issues for any fish, all plants will grow well in it, and there are no side issues like ammonia. The benefit of the substrate is as a source of decomposing organics, and this will rapidly develop with inert sand just as well.

You will want a good covering of floating plants, with T5 HO lighting which is very bright, especially for forest fish like the tetras.

Byron.
I was worried about the T5HO light. I got it with a complete setup that I bought used from a guy and it is brand new. He was into saltwater and I'm guessing that is why he had it. I know it has value so maybe I should think about selling it and using the money to buy something more realistic for a tank with carpet plants and tetras, which is my ideal tank I'm trying to create The complete setup also came with used Seachem Fluorite mixed with some other substrate that I can't identify, and I was going to maybe use it as opposed to spending money on something new to save $. However, I've been hesitant to put used Fluorite into a brand new start....

I was worried about the T5HO light. I got it with a complete setup that I bought used from a guy and it is brand new. He was into saltwater and I'm guessing that is why he had it. I know it has value so maybe I should think about selling it and using the money to buy something more realistic for a tank with carpet plants and tetras, which is my ideal tank I'm trying to create The complete setup also came with used Seachem Fluorite mixed with some other substrate that I can't identify, and I was going to maybe use it as opposed to spending money on something new to save $. However, I've been hesitant to put used Fluorite into a brand new start....

Selling the T5 might be worth it. I have been using the basic T8 fluorescent since the 1980's. When my oldest fixture gave out, I tried a T5 and had it for one week before I took it back because it was too bright; I joked that my fish were begging me for sunglasses. But that wasn't far off, as bright light is extremely distressing to forest fish than never see direct sun and live in water that may often be blackwater, or high in particulate matter, further reducing light.

I would not use the Flourite, for previous reasons (fish issues) plus it is "used." Play sand is extremely inexpensive. I paid $180 for the Flourite I tried in my 70g, and after two years I pulled it out and replaced it with play sand at a total cost of $14. The plants thrived just as well, and I don't have to worry about substrate fish getting torn up or worse.

Carpet plants are tricky. Higher light, which usually but not always means adding diffused CO2, may be necessary. I use chunks of wood to break up the sand, and for lower plants the pygmy chain sword or in some tanks crypts. My fish are my first concern, always, so the plants have to be willing to manage with what the fish need.

Selling the T5 might be worth it. I have been using the basic T8 fluorescent since the 1980's. When my oldest fixture gave out, I tried a T5 and had it for one week before I took it back because it was too bright; I joked that my fish were begging me for sunglasses. But that wasn't far off, as bright light is extremely distressing to forest fish than never see direct sun and live in water that may often be blackwater, or high in particulate matter, further reducing light.

I would not use the Flourite, for previous reasons (fish issues) plus it is "used." Play sand is extremely inexpensive. I paid $180 for the Flourite I tried in my 70g, and after two years I pulled it out and replaced it with play sand at a total cost of $14. The plants thrived just as well, and I don't have to worry about substrate fish getting torn up or worse.

Carpet plants are tricky. Higher light, which usually but not always means adding diffused CO2, may be necessary. I use chunks of wood to break up the sand, and for lower plants the pygmy chain sword or in some tanks crypts. My fish are my first concern, always, so the plants have to be willing to manage with what the fish need.
I do agree that inert gravels and sand work very well for growing plants too. I haven't personally succeeded with playsand, but I didn't know what I was doing either. As long as your plants have the key requirements, they'll grow: nutrients, light, and atleast suboptimal water conditions.

Seachem's Flourite and the very similar Eco-Complete are both a waste of money,
I once used Eco complete and can tell you it was a waste of $60 for a 9KG bag, Its also how I got my first pest snails in the tank.

Since we've started discussing the Coralife T5HO, do ya'll know what kind of freshwater fish (since Tetras like the blackwater/forest setup) that thrive in high or bright lighting?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back