Best Pellet Food For Bettas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SeaAngel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have always used Aqueon but just about out. I use New Life Spectrum for my other fish. Anybody use it for bettas? If not, which pelleted food would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

I used to use New Life Spectrum pellets they are great but I stopped using them because of inconsistent size., I have also used Northfin Betta Bits also great.

Now days my fish eat nothing but live or frozen food and they seem much happier and healthier, and unlike dry food you dont get problems with constipation.

The reason I like Northfin food is because of the ingredients.
Fish food, like human food, should list the ingredients. If they say fish meal, it is not usually good quality. Look for a food that names the species of fish the meal is made from, and use of the word 'whole' is even better as this means it's not just the skin, bones and other undesirable bits. For example, I have recently changed from Atisons Betta Food, and that just lists "fish meal", which is a lower grade ingredient.

Northfin Betta Bits contain whole Antarctic krill meal, herring meal and whole sardine meal.
New Life Spectrum Betta Formula contains whole Atlantic krill meal, whole herring meal and whole squid meal.
Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets contain salmon, whole herring and whole shrimp.

Not all products give the ingredients on-line. Hikari's website just says Betta Bio-Gold contains "premium select fish meal". API's site doesn't say anything about ingredients.

Because I'm an a** and we are talking about Bettas, I'm going to throw a big spanner in the works now.

Northfin Betta Bits contain whole Antarctic krill meal, herring meal and whole sardine meal.

Just how healthy is this for a Betta? a fish that is native to the Mekong delta in south-east Asia.

All the ingredients are salt water fish yet the Betta is a fresh soft water fish, Wouldn't a pellet made of whole mosquito assorted flies bugs worms and whole fresh water fish meals be better?

Yes it would, but I haven't yet found a food that contains them. Do you know of any?

And I know that culturing my own food would be better, but my husband objected to even a pot or two of microworms indoors, and in our climate (north England) it is not possible to culture live food outdoors all year round. I would need to cultivate a variety of bugs and worms to give my betta a good varied diet.

My current betta will allow certain tank mates so he has a few cherry shrimp in his tank. He ignores them. But although I found one baby shrimp in the old tank water bucket, I have yet to see any signs that the babies are surviving. Hopefully, they are adding to the betta's diet, though he doesn't seem to know what frozen (then thawed) daphnia are.

my bettas go crazy over fluval bug bites (tropical formula for small fish). they also make one specifically for bettas. not sure how the ingredients differ.

I really haven’t found anything that mine win’t Eat except peas. Lol

I dont blame your fish for not eating peas I cant stand peas so why should a fish whos main diet is meaty?

Peas are highly over rated when it comes to Bettas, Daphnia are known to act as a mild laxative and a digestive aid

I dont blame your fish for not eating peas I cant stand peas so why should a fish whos main diet is meaty?

Peas are highly over rated when it comes to Bettas, Daphnia are known to act as a mild laxative and a digestive aid
I hate peas too.

For some reason most of mine totally ignore pellets. They like flakes so that's what I mostly feed them. They get other treats and pick at the big pellets I give the cories but small pellets just go into the gravel.
Haven't tried peas on them.

Both my boys get the National Geographic Betta Pellets. Made by OmegaSea. They are small so they can eat one in a quick gulp. I only feed them 1-2 pellets a day. Once a week on Saturday they get a pellet and a couple of soaked freeze dried bloodworms for a treat. Sunday is fast day. They are never constipated and love these pellets. I never feed them flakes because they tend to pollute the tank since some don't always get eaten and end up on the bottom on the substrate. With pellets I can control that since my guys gobble each one up like it's their last meal.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back