Best lighting, while avoiding algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DazedNCoNfUsEd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a SeaClear 46 gallon bow front acrylic tank, however the lighting fixture that comes with it is rather subpar.

I am looking to upgrade the lighting, but I also want to keep algae at a minimum, especially since acrylic has been known to scratch much easier, therefore would be harder to clean off.

I did not plan on keeping live plants, but I am also not against it. Would it be advantageous to grab a couple of low maintenance plants to put in there as well? (definitely do not want to go high-tech or anything) I've been keeping fish for quite some time now, but very inexperienced with planted tanks. I have also read that keeping live plants can increase the risk of algae outbreaks, especially with water changes, which I usually stay on top of, so that makes me a little more hesitant.

Basically my questions are,

1- Is there a good quality light I could use, if I stay plant less, that would not put me at risk for higher algae growth? I typically run lights around 6-7 hours per day.

2- Could it more cause more harm than good to go with a few live plants as well? If I do, what type of lighting should I consider then? Again, no desire to ever go heavy with plants or anything.

Some other info:

Will basically be consolidating a 75 gallon and 36 gallon, keeping my Electric Blue Acara and building around him; getting an Aquaclear 110 for filtration (I have PLENTY of media from my other filters to throw in initially); keeping the sand substrate I already have; also have an Albino BN that I will be keeping, no other algae eaters though.

Live aquatic plants do not encourage algal outbreaks, they actually reduce the chances of algae growing by using the light & nutrients that would normally encourage algae to grow.

Algae grows anywhere there is moisture and light. If you have live aquatic plants in the tank, they will use the light and some nutrients and reduce the algae growing on the glass and ornaments in the tank.

Without live aquatic plants in the tank, you will probably get algae growing, and the more light you have, the more algae will grow.

If you want cichlids and rocks and wood and no live plants growing in the substrate, then get some Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) and let it float on the surface. It will use the light and nutrients in the water and will significantly reduce the algae growing in the tank. You can also plant Water Sprite in the gravel and it grows equally well there. However, if it is growing in the substrate you might get algae growing on the glass if there is sufficient light getting onto the glass.

Some other good aquatic plants include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, narrow Vallis and common Amazon Swordplants. Although with low light these plants won't grow as well as they could if given lots of light.

Planted tanks are a natural thing of beauty that aid in water purification. Here's recent shot of my 60g...
e9b20180409101435w.jpg

Plants, especially fast growing floating plants compete with algae for nutrients and light and usually win....although most tanks have some algae and this is a good thing. If you want to keep it simple, java moss, java fern, anubias, amazon sword, and crypts are all good low tech choices. Consider floating plants (in the photo I have water sprite).
For lighting, I'm using the 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 LED running in 24/7 mode on a timer - on at 6am, off at midnight. It comes on with a mellow sunrise, ramps up to midday sun, then down to sunset/moonlight. It is surreal!

Note: an AC110 is too much filter for a 46g - the AC70 would be plenty.

Last edited:
If you're not going to have plants there isn't really any point in upgrading the lights. You'll have to keep your brighter lights on for a shorter time if you don't want algae.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back