Best Freshwater fish to breed(other than platys and guppies)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

animal_man1738

Reaction score
What do you guys think is the easiest and best fish to breed in a 55 gallon tank? it is kept at 82 with tetras, platys, harlequins.

Hi

it is kept at 82 with tetras, platys, harlequins.

Before you consider breeding you should look at your stocking.

Platies are hard water fish while most Tetras prefer soft water.

oh ok i didnt know this, thank you for telling me. Should I increase the hardness of my water, and if so how would I do that? also, would the tetras be fine with that?

oh ok i didnt know this, thank you for telling me. Should I increase the hardness of my water, and if so how would I do that? also, would the tetras be fine with that?

I posted in your other thread on this issue, and it is best not to divide one issue into different threads as it makes it harder to keep everyone's posts focused. As I didn't mention raising hardness there, I will briefly comment here so you know.

As soon as you start adjusting (or attempting to adjust, it is not that easy always) water parameters of your source water, you set up possible issues. Primarily, water changes. Doing adequate water changes, or emergency changes which can occur, is less trouble if you can just turn on the tap. Preparing water in advance and storing it is cumbersome to say the least. Selecting fish suited to your source water really makes life much easier, for you and the fish.

ok thank you for this. Going back to easy fish to breed, do you know any fish that would breed very easily in the water that I have?

ok thank you for this. Going back to easy fish to breed, do you know any fish that would breed very easily in the water that I have?

Just posted on this in your other thread.

You know what I would do? Don't bother with fish, Try shrimp if your water is suitable.

They are easy to breed, My red cherry shrimp breed faster than pest snails even with 5 Betta females in the tank, and easy to sell and not hard to care for.

I just put 50 Red cherry shrimp into the tank in my signature with 5 female bettas, In a few months I will have well over 200, in 12 months I could have well over 600, truly given the right conditions these things breed that fast in my tanks.

Where I live shrimp go for as littles as 20 cents each for feeders up to $6 each for petstore quality red cherry shrimp. Rifle shrimp are about $10 each.

Thank you so much for this suggestion, i have been thinking about shrimp for a while now. Do you know about ghost shrimp? I know the shop I go to have those. I will probably go tomorrow, pick up a few shrimp.

I know nothing about them.

If you are going with shrimp my suggestion would be Neocaridina, Red Chery shrimp, these are the least fussy, Keep the water clean feed them now n then, give them a few hiding spots and sit back let them do the rest.

Before you rush in you need to do some research.
http://aquariuminfo.org/rcs.html

Here again is the thinking or perhaps myth that certain fish require very specific water. I think the thinking is in regards to the water conditions for fish in the wild. But in reality, most of the fish we have in the hobby are not wild caught but rather tank or pond born and raised in ponds from Florida to Taiwan and in local fish room tanks in a wide variety of water types.

I have angels, tetras, swordtails, molly's, and cory's all in the same water and they're all doing just fine. My water is neither soft nor hard and I add approximately 1 tsp of Seachem Equilibrium to each 10g of water prepped for water changes (to slightly increase calcium/magnesium).

I have become what I call an 'accidental breeder' having peddled over 50 fish in recent months to an LFS with another 2-3 dozen now growing out.
(I didn't plan it, the fish I had just bred and fry survived in my planted tank. At first it was just a couple and then...they just kept coming!)
If you're serious about being a hobbyist/breeder, touch base with a local fish store owner and get his/her opinion/advice. They know what sells and what doesn't...and you can feel them out as to their interest in buying fish from you and whether it would be cash or store credit. Breeders with large fish rooms would typically sell for cash, although the wholesale price for fish is pretty low. You get more if you sell (trade) for store credit. Either way, it can be a win/win but it's not a way to get rich!

Most reactions

trending

Back