Best filter media for live planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TamarackTTC

Reaction score
I have a Fluval 305 canister filter with 3 "stages" to hold media for a 55 gallon long tank. This tank will be a live planted tank with a variety of tetras. I've read that it's not recommended to use carbon in the filter. So what should I use in the 3 "stages" of media?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_3080.JPG
    IMG_3080.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 153
One more question I was going to add: is a Fluval 305 enough filtration for a 55 gallon? Thanks

Happy new year

The best type of media is sponges.

Like this
saltwater-aquarium-filter-media-how-to-correctly-layer-your-media-and-sponges-in-a-canister-filter-turtle-saltwater-tank-filter-media.jpg

I would agree with Nick on that.Sponges are about the best for live bacteria.Carbon is fine it just isn't really needed/I would say your Fluval should suffice for your tank though.

I concur with other members here. Plants arte natural filters, and provided the fish load is balanced, no filter is really needed, other than to create water flow and surface disturbance. So the sponges/foam/floss is adequate as these will trap particulate matter (keeping the water clear) and not mess around with biological filtration which the plants can handle. Biological and chemical filtration competes with the plants for nutrients, and there is no point in encouraging this as it will make life more difficult for the plants.

Thanks guys!

So does that mean I start from the bottom to the top in a 3 stage filter like my Fluval 305?

Also, is there any need for "pre-filter media", "bio balls" or "bio rings"?

The filter is primarily to circulate water and trap organics (the brown gunk). Because this can easily and quickly clog thee finer media like the sponges, floss and foam, having pre-filter media like ceramic rings/disks can avoid more frequent filter cleaning since the first layer ceramics traps a lot of gunk but doesn't clog as rapidly so thee water flow is not usually impeded, and then the next layer traps more and finer gunk, until finally the very fine foam/floss layer. I find this last layer needs replacing at every rinsing; it does not really rinse clean, and/or it gets out of shape and thin so the water can "bypass" it more, which isn't what you want.

I have Eheim canisters on my two largest tanks, and the first basket is full of Fluval ceramic Pre-filter media (see here: http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A1470-pre-filter-media/#.Wklkmt-nGUk

The next basket has bio max (I have used the Fluval Bio Max, and the Eheim product). Then comes the white floss pad which is always the very last filtration to capture the smallest particulate matter and not clog too quickly.

The water has to flow from coarse through to the fine, so arrange thee media accordingly.

Do it this way

TalHgff.jpg

BOTTOM

Out of interest why would you do it fine to course in my mind course would take away the bigger waist and stop the finer stuff from clogging

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Out of interest why would you do it fine to course in my mind course would take away the bigger waist and stop the finer stuff from clogging

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Correct. Some filters have the flow from bottom to top, some the opposite. Once you know which way it flows, you can position the coarse to fine accordingly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back