Best filter current killing method I've found

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Haiku

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I posted about this before in a reply to someone else's thread, but I decided to give it a shot today instead of the filter foam/nylon methods I've tried so far. It works beautifully. Here's the page that gives the instructions:

http://www.petfish.net/currentkill.htm

I didn't even need tape to hold mine in place, probably because my filter outflows are smaller and it curled around enough to hold itself in place. It's actually not that unsightly either. With the tank hoods on, and my tanks on my desk with the water line a bit below eye level, I can't even see them unless I duck my head down lower. There is a slight current at the top where the water pushes out the sides a bit, but none whatsoever below where the fish are swimming most of the time.

Here are a few pics of mine.

With lids off:
209a3161.jpg

Orion's (he's fascinated by this new thing in his home, he's even swam back and forth through the little "tunnel"). The bio-wheel does spin normally with it there.

6ede2a8e.jpg

Draco's, could probably have cut his a tad smaller but it works nicely as is

They can swim right under it and not get blown around
f0b6a662.jpg

6a24c818.jpg

bnestcurrentkilled.jpg

Orion's bubble nest in the other corner isn't even disturbed.

These have been a nice solution. I was about ready to give up on any filter at all in Draco's tank because he clamps up and hides at the least bit of current.

OH MY DEAR GOD.
I thought (when I read the title of this) that you were going post the most recently found best way to kill a fish.

LOL

Hey Haiku, in your first picture, is the filter part of the 5 gallon hexagon? I've been trying to slow down/stop the current and I finally found a solution thought not as well as yours. I put a layer of thin spong (extremely clean cuz i boiled it and whatnot too) outside and inside where the current goes out to and thus Mayo could finally build his bubblenest now. I shall try yours asap. :thumbs: great idea thanks

BettaMomma said:
OH MY DEAR GOD.
I thought (when I read the title of this) that you were going post the most recently found best way to kill a fish.

LOL
Oh my God! *look of utter horror* I changed the title. I didn't even think of it being read that way! :*)

BettasRFriends, that filter came with the tank, it's actually an Eclipse 3-gallon system. I had tried filter foam too but I worried about it clogging things up and there still seemed to be some current down below. This way is working really nicely. Orion's working on his bubbly nest some more right now :wub:

Alternatively, if you have an internal filter, you can sometimes make a remote output valve (altough this depends on the shape of the output valve.)

I agree wtih BettaMomma about the title thing. It wasn't till I actually read the article and think about the title that I actually got it LOL. I remember those times when Mayo couldn't build a bubblenest because of the current but now he's making one of his biggi bubble nests =]

I haven't tried it yet but will today or tomorrow. I have to clean the tank and I'm going to do it after I clean it. It's good to know that it actually works though. :nod:

BettasRFriends said:
I agree wtih BettaMomma about the title thing. It wasn't till I actually read the article and think about the title that I actually got it LOL.
I think it's like one of those situations where you are sitting there thinking about something, and suddenly comment on what you're thinking, but what you say doesn't make any sense to those around you because they had no clue what you were thinking about. I'm sure I would have read it the same way had I seen someone else post that.

It was originally titled "Best current killing method I've found" for people who didn't see it originally :*). I can't believe I did that, I was totally caught up in thinking about filter currents at the time :*). I hope it helps those of you who have been looking for a better way to slow down the filter currents :)

Haiku said:
It was originally titled "Best current killing method I've found" for people who didn't see it originally :*). I can't believe I did that, I was totally caught up in thinking about filter currents at the time :*). I hope it helps those of you who have been looking for a better way to slow down the filter currents :)
lol :lol:
Ok now for my question, did the plastic thing get sharp edges where you cut it? If not, what did you cut it with?

mm_simb said:
Ok now for my question, did the plastic thing get sharp edges where you cut it? If not, what did you cut it with?
I made sure the cut was clean and not jagged. I worried a bit about the edges too but I went ahead and tried it. Both fish have swam against them, through them, etc, and no tears or rips. I think it should be ok as long as the edges are smooth and not jagged. I used thick heavy duty cutting sheers to cut mine. If you were really worried about it, maybe there'd be a way to melt the edges a bit using heat? Like holding a lighter up along the edges briefly. Just a thought.

Good idea. I went and built one for my 6 gallon tank but I bent and cut sections so that the one side would have a wall so that teh water flows out the side towards the tank. Thie made the water pretty still.

topscreen.jpg

heldonback.jpg

bottom.jpg

Glad it worked well for you! I love mine. Both my boys are very happy now with virtually no underwater current. The water surface is disturbed enough to keep that scum from developing at the top of the water, but not so much that they can't make bubble nests. :) Best of all, I don't feel like I'm obstructing the filter any this way.

I tried this earlier today and thought the edges were kind of sharp. Unless they swam right into it I dont think it would cause any harm right? :unsure:

I worried about it some but put them in and even when they swam right into it and their fins brushed by the edges, nothing happened (I made sure there were no jagged edges though).

BUT, that said, I STILL worried, so I took a lighter (I don't smoke but I have one around to light candles) and ran it along the edges to melt the edges down slightly. I don't worry at all now :)

Well I tried it and it's a lot better than what it was before. He can swim across the tank without being blown around by the current. He doesn't even pay attention to it either. :nod: :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back