Best Coldwater Fish For A Beginner? Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have been looking at bettas, they are beautiful and don't seem so tricky to keep! I've been on this site all day now and am not so intimidated by the idea of going tropical!

The idea of a betta with a few shrimps then later the shoalings sounds great, would a 60 litre tank be big enough for this??

I know my questions prob seem silly, I just dont want to get it wrong!! :blush:

Bettas are pretty #41#### easy as far as tropical fish go and they really do have great personalities.

I keep my male betta in a 50L with some endlers and cherry shrimp (who knows how many!) and it works out great. The only potential problem is that bettas are very much individuals, and whilst mine doesn't bother with the shrimp at all, some might eat them - in that case, slightly bigger shrimp like amanos may be a better choice. But all round, sounds like a good plan! :)

I have been looking at bettas, they are beautiful and don't seem so tricky to keep! I've been on this site all day now and am not so intimidated by the idea of going tropical!

The idea of a betta with a few shrimps then later the shoalings sounds great, would a 60 litre tank be big enough for this??

I know my questions prob seem silly, I just dont want to get it wrong!! :blush:

Bettas are pretty #41#### easy as far as tropical fish go and they really do have great personalities.

I keep my male betta in a 50L with some endlers and cherry shrimp (who knows how many!) and it works out great. The only potential problem is that bettas are very much individuals, and whilst mine doesn't bother with the shrimp at all, some might eat them - in that case, slightly bigger shrimp like amanos may be a better choice. But all round, sounds like a good plan! :)

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna start with a fishless cycle, but then do I add the betta, shrimp and endlers all at the same time?? If not, what order is best?

If you do a fishless cycle, you can add all the stock at the same time, as your bacterial colony will be easily large enough to process all the ammonia :good:

Shrimps are very sensitive to water quality though, so I'd add all the fish and monitor the water closely for a couple of weeks before you add them :)

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna start with a fishless cycle, but then do I add the betta, shrimp and endlers all at the same time?? If not, what order is best?

If your cycle is fully finished (your tank is processing 5ppm ammonia in 12 hours I believe) you are theoretically fine to add all the fish at once. However, I'd add the betta last, as he's less likely to claim the whole tank as 'his territory' and be aggressive if there are already other fish there :)

Oh, good point! I haven't kept betta for donkey's years! So; Endler's, then the betta then the shrimps? Or Endler's, shrimps, betta?

Oh, good point! I haven't kept betta for donkey's years! So; Endler's, then the betta then the shrimps? Or Endler's, shrimps, betta?

Actually, with my current setup, it was betta, endlers, shrimp, breaking my own rules there :D But I already knew he was a very non-aggressive betta, he wasn't new to me.

it's a tough decision but I;d maybe go endlers, shrimps, betta, just so he doesn't see the shrimps all raining down from above like a delicious live food buffet!

it's a tough decision but I;d maybe go endlers, shrimps, betta, just so he doesn't see the shrimps all raining down from above like a delicious live food buffet!
:lol: :lol:

Actually, with my current setup, it was betta, endlers, shrimp, breaking my own rules there :D But I already knew he was a very non-aggressive betta, he wasn't new to me.

:lol: I'd better keep that in mind!!! Thank you so much!

I'm on cold water fish too... i have in this moment swordtail fishes and they are pretty cool easy to breed... i have a 26gallons aquarium i have the swordfishes among others but cold water cool its the only one i had found for sale... i have been looking for white clouds too but dont find them... and i will put colourfull snails too

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back