Best clean up crew for 10g fish tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™m not really a big fan of algae eaters or bottom fishes and just prefer to maintain proper maintainence. However recently Iā€™ve been wondering what would be ideal for my tank if I were to add a few extra members in. I have a 10g tank with 7 male guppies. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Snails are your best option here. The small ones like pond, bladder or Malaysian Livebearing. I've never kept the larger snails, but no doubt some of them might also be effective. But you do not want fish as the tank is too small for say a group of cories, and in any event cories will not eat fallen flake foods but need their own sinking foods so that is not going to help. Snails also eat algae; they will not have much effect with "problem" algae but normal common algae that accrues on all surfaces they will control.

One of the smaller species of nerite snail would be OK in a 10 gallon tank. As you are in the UK - do you have a branch of Maidenhead Aquatics near you? The ones near me sell several types of nerite, some growing bigger than others. Avoid the large cone shaped snails as some of them grow too big (usually called rabbit snails)

Snails are your best option here. The small ones like pond, bladder or Malaysian Livebearing. I've never kept the larger snails, but no doubt some of them might also be effective. But you do not want fish as the tank is too small for say a group of cories, and in any event cories will not eat fallen flake foods but need their own sinking foods so that is not going to help. Snails also eat algae; they will not have much effect with "problem" algae but normal common algae that accrues on all surfaces they will control.

Many thanks for your response. I add minerals into my tank now that come in a powdered salt form to make my water harder. Would my snails be ok with this? And if I ever needed to add normal aquarium salt to treat fish would they be ok with this? Iā€™ve also considered shrimps but Iā€™m not sure if my tank is too small. Thank you.

One of the smaller species of nerite snail would be OK in a 10 gallon tank. As you are in the UK - do you have a branch of Maidenhead Aquatics near you? The ones near me sell several types of nerite, some growing bigger than others. Avoid the large cone shaped snails as some of them grow too big (usually called rabbit snails)

Many thanks for your reply. I donā€™t have a maiden aquatics branch near by I donā€™t think but I will check on eBay. Thank you.

Snails will be fine with the additive. Very soft water and low pH causes snail shells to erode. The additive will give them plenty of calcium to make strong shells.

Snails will be fine with the additive. Very soft water and low pH causes snail shells to erode. The additive will give them plenty of calcium to make strong shells.

Would a few ramshorn snails be ok for my tank? I have got a maiden aquatics near by according to what it says online. However Iā€™ve seen some really nice pink tropical ramshorn snails from an eBay seller. These are extremely rare as stated, and they also go with the pink theme in my tank. The seller does sell them in 6ā€™s though. I have attached the link below. Many thanks for your help!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X6-Rares...quarium-Tank/202510728297?hash=item2f26947c69

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't put 6 of these in a 10 gallon tank. Besides being too many adult snails, the chances of having at least one male and one female in a group of 6 are high, which means lots of baby snails. You might be able to sell some on, but you'd never be able to rehome every snail. If you could find someone selling them singly, or know someone who would take 5 of them leaving you with just one, then yes.
Avoid the giant Columiban ramshorn as that will eat plants. It is the brown stripey ramshorn.
I've just looked and there are other Ebay sellers who sell them singly ;)

I wouldn't put 6 of these in a 10 gallon tank. Besides being too many adult snails, the chances of having at least one male and one female in a group of 6 are high, which means lots of baby snails. You might be able to sell some on, but you'd never be able to rehome every snail. If you could find someone selling them singly, or know someone who would take 5 of them leaving you with just one, then yes.
Avoid the giant Columiban ramshorn as that will eat plants. It is the brown stripey ramshorn.
I've just looked and there are other Ebay sellers who sell them singly ;)

Many thanks for your response. The seller has confirmed they will allow me to purchase just the one if I want. However theyā€™ve also confirmed these snails can self reproduce within a day. Guppies might also get a bit territorial depending on their personalities around the snails. Would you still recommend purchasing the one alone or a few? The Columiban ramshorn sounds like hard work! Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:
I agree that snails are the best clean up crew you can get. I have a couple of ramshorn in my 20L but they donā€™t seem to be as hardy as Malaysian trumpet snails. I would stick to something small and definitely not something like a mystery snail. They are too large for your tank.

I agree that snails are the best clean up crew you can get. I have a couple of ramshorn in my 20L but they donā€™t seem to be as hardy as Malaysian trumpet snails. I would stick to something small and definitely not something like a mystery snail. They are too large for your tank.

Many thanks for your reply. Do you have problems with breeding? Iā€™ve been doing a little research and it seems as though these snails are well known for breeding. How many ramshorn snails would you recommend for a 10g tank? Do these need to be kept in groups? And do your fish ever pick at them? Thank you!

My fish get along fine with them. The ramshorn donā€™t seem to breed as quickly as the Malaysian trumpet snails.

My fish get along fine with them. The ramshorn donā€™t seem to breed as quickly as the Malaysian trumpet snails.

How many did you start of with and how many would you say you have now? Thank you.

I only have a few ramshorn. J probably have 100 MTS and constantlythrow them in my pond. Snails are good for the tank though.

I only have a few ramshorn. J probably have 100 MTS and constantlythrow them in my pond. Snails are good for the tank though.

I must say after receiving this feedback I donā€™t think I want to purchase these anymore. You seem to have also ended up with more than you aimed to initially have. Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Back