Best Canister Filter Media For Crystal Clear Water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jeej

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The carbon has been in one of the trays in my filter for bout 6 weeks now and I want to get rid of it. I think my water could do with being a bit clearer, so I was wondering what filter media would be best to help achieve this?

Cheers.

Filter wool is very fine and will "polish" your water.

Thanks Matty. I believe I already have some in there. Will more help? At the moment one tray has wool, one has noodles and one has sponges.

If you want crystal clear water...then use purigen. Carbon and filter wool are both useless in that area imo.

Diatomic earth filter is the only true way to Gin clear water (periodic filtration only) couple of times per week.
Regards
BigC

If you want crystal clear water...then use purigen. Carbon and filter wool are both useless in that area imo.

Purigen removes dissolved solids, you also need to remove the suspended solids by using filter media i.e filter wool.

Im not certain what type filter you have but keep in mind that a portion of your beneficial bacteria will probably be in/on the carbon so throwing it away could cause a mini cycle. I'm not saying you shouldn't discard it as I don't use carbon either, just warning of some possible side effects for the short term.

Thanks for the advice guys. My tank is not cycled, so no worries there. I think I will get some Purigen.

My biggest concern with Purigen is that it is an absorbent which will remove ammonia. That can prevent the tank from cycling (or make the tank uncycle) thus you become dependent on it. It has to be recharged periodically or becomes useless..

Even if you wait til it cycles and add it, if it begins to absorb ammonia, it can eventually lead to the tank becoming uncycled as there will be less and less ammonia for the bacteria to consume. I know people use Purigen but I'm just not too keen on anything that absorbs ammonia and has to be replaced or recharged.

I have the ceramic rings in all 3 of mine. It is a combination of the rings that came with them (Fluval 304s) and Seachem Matrix. There are also sponges but they are on the side of the filter and not in the baskets.

I have a 20-gallon fish tank and installed a Fluval 306 canister filter. I clean my filtration device once every 1 month using my thumb is to clean them this is the best process when the water flows slow. Sometimes I used purigen in my canister filter keeps my water crystal clear.

Most reactions

trending

Back