Beginnings

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DrRob

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, a few distractions aside, and being kept busy sorting tortoise enclosures for the summer, leaves me back with some time to start playing again.

I've got a lot of tidying up to do in the main display which lacks feature fish after some old age die offs, and the shrimp tank is an overgrown jungle. Time now though, seems to be available in good supply, so it's time to start something slow and steady.

Also, I suspect partly by way of apology for stealing all my time for her tortoises, the other half bought me a tank. Sadly she knows little of the fishkeeping ways, so it's a 4 gallon rimless. Pretty little tank, but it may end up having to be a refugium, or pico plant only tank.

Pictures are a little pink as the phone camera has a tendency to overheat in seconds except in very bright light.

Attachments

• 2015-05-25 11.39.35.jpg
    2015-05-25 11.39.35.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 2015-05-25 11.39.48.jpg
    2015-05-25 11.39.48.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 2015-05-25 11.10.14.jpg
    2015-05-25 11.10.14.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 148
Hmmm... 4 gallon rimless, eh? What about pico planted with some dwarf Mexican orange crayfish?

Not something I've encountered before those wee beasties. They sound almost edible though.

Planted seems obvious. Not sure it's big enough for a betta.

I thought that might be a new one for you Rob... Which is why I suggested it. I know you like a little variety in your tanks. Incidentally, they are one of the very very few crayfish that won't dig or trim plants nor go after fish. Which I thought make them ideal for your situation, as you already have a shrimp tank.

I'd say it's just big enough...barely, but the concern would be jumping.... What's the lid situation?

Lid situation is that there is no lid. I do also need to work out where to put it, which could effect it's final use.

Bettas with no lids are no good.

eaglesaquarium said:
Bettas with no lids are no good.

I didn't say that there was no possibility of a lid, just that there isn't one right now. I'm leaning towards planted pico and shrimp for this one. Unless I can find something more obscure to play with.

I don't disagree.  ;)  plexi is fairly easily obtained.  Just putting it out there for any novice fish keepers that come along to read the thread.

The Mexican CPO wasn't obscure enough?  
sad2.gif
  I shall endeavor to find something more obscure.

I wonder if Baccus would have a thought or two.

eaglesaquarium said:
sad2.gif

Oh, it was obscure, and very cute. Just not spotted any availability right now over here, but it's on the short list.

Lighting sorted now for the bigger tank, might be forced to drill some holes in it for an overflow to the sump.
Ah, and that'll be why I can't find any.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=1425

DrRob said:

sad2.gif

Oh, it was obscure, and very cute. Just not spotted any availability right now over here, but it's on the short list.

Lighting sorted now for the bigger tank, might be forced to drill some holes in it for an overflow to the sump.

Yeah, I'm not sure how easy they are to get in the UK.  In the US, they are readily available via various websites.  You guys really need an 'aquabid' equivalent.

No, sadly they're illegal over here.

DrRob said:
No, sadly they're illegal over here.

The Mexican CPOs are illegal?! :eek:

Everything from the genus is illegal. Crayfish over here are a problem, the native white is being wiped out by overcompetition from the American Flag crayfish, as well as them carrying a disease that they have very little resistance to. Mexican CPO's are from the same genus so can carry the disease, plus most tropical crayfish are capable of adapting to temperate climates. The only legal cray over here for the hobby is the blue lobster one.

Wow... that's news to me.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back