Beginner Tank Setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vMaCx03

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank. Currently I have only different vareities of mollies in there. But after I get back from my summer vacation I expect some to die or I may just wait till they all die. When they die, I wanna setup a new tank. I think I wanna start putting coys and goldfish and stuff of that family in there.

Exactly what is a good combination for such fishes. I am not sure if they are freshwater. Also, I live in the South (Louisiana). So should the pH be 6?

Please tell me the required things I need for a new fish tank setup.

Also, if you can make a list of community fish with these coys it would be helpful.

Or, if you would like to suggest a better category of fish for a 30 gal tank please submit. I'm open to ideas. I'm somewhat new to this still. Thanks all

:/ That's a bit worrying that you assume your fish will just die soon
If you look after them well now, you should by all means have them for a good many years ! So you might want to hang around for a couple of years till they "die" or rehome them if you don't like them.

why not rehome them to someone who odes want them?
if your just waiting for them to die then you may start to neglect them

how many mollies do you have in the tank?

Mollies can live 2-4 years...so I don't think are just going to die. :)

If you do want to put a Goldfish in your tank, you should probably take the Mollies out, because Goldfish are coldwater, while Mollies are tropical. Also, beware, Goldfish are VERY messy fish. I'm pretty sure some Cories could go in with Goldfish, in coldwater, but you might want to check in the Catfish section. :thumbs:

If you just want a general community tank, the p.H should be around 7 or so. :)

Most community fish you find can go with Cories, because Cories are very peaceful. Any specific ones you were thinking of?

If you want goldfish, you can only keep 2 in that tank - no other fish. As they are freshwater coldwater, the setup should be the same as it is now but take out the heater.

By 'coys' do you mean koi or cories? Cories are corydoras catfish which shouldn't realy be kept in a coldwater tank with goldfish (there are a few exceptions as some can tolerate quite low temps.) If you meant koi as in the carp, you can't put any in a 30 gallon - they get HUGE!

dont just let them die tanke out a free ad in the paper and offer them to someone else or the fish shop.

Or, if you would like to suggest a better category of fish for a 30 gal tank please submit. I'm open to ideas. I'm somewhat new to this still. Thanks all

it is was me i would have a school of cardinals and a BN plec on the bottom. bog wood structures, plants and a black back ground to bring out the colours in the cardinals and a heater lol

Gee... That is not whay I am doing....!!!! I ain't waiting for them to die... Just taht if i go on a vacation the auto feed can only last so long. I expect for them to die. I dont want the fish to die. I plan to put new fish in once the mollies die. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And tahnks all for suggestions on the fish

Also, what would fan tails work well with and hw many can i have in tank?
Do coys work well with fantails? (how should i add fish in; one week this fish and anoter few fish the next week???)

well i think u shoulnt be planning on getting new fish if your old ones are stil alive
how long are you going away for?

Also, now that I ma get these fish I need to learn more about them. I know millies were livebearers. But i think these fishim tlaking about now have frys. What conditions are necesary for them to have frys and do I need separate tank or more plany lookin decorations. And woul di even need a thermometer in the tank for these coldwater fish?

And how are goldfish very messy fish??? (u mea they grow big fast??)

i will be back and forth... So far I know that imma be away for 3 weeks. I come back for one. and i think gone for rest of summer.

Simply do not keep fish until you can actually look after and care for your fish you have properly. If you can't look after them, give them to someone who can, or give them to a local fish shop.
It's an entirely unreasonable attitude to have "my fish will get fed as long as there is food in the autofeeder and I'm not sure how long it will be before I see them next" kinda thing.

Please rehome your fish before you sentence them to death if you cannot be sure you will be able to look afterm them.

i will be back and forth... So far I know that imma be away for 3 weeks. I come back for one. and i think gone for rest of summer.

If you are away for this period of time, how are you planning to make sure that ammonia doesn't reach toxic levels?

Please rehome your fish before you sentence them to death if you cannot be sure you will be able to look afterm them.

Totally agree mollies are beautiful fish and would be easy to rehome.

You wouldn't leave a dog for this period of time (or would you??) so at least get someone to look in on your fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back