Bearded Dragon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rex740

Fish Addict
Reaction score
To anyone that has or has had a bearded dragon... How long can they survive with out food?

Its because i got an 8 week old beautiful hypo sand fire beardie, and well shes not eating anything...

Hi, I had 2 bearded dragons I may be able to assist you. First of all, could you tell me what your set-up is like.. the temperature in all 3 zones and when you got him?

Beardies have an intestinal parasite called Coccidia which are in normal low amounts, but with added stress the level of Coccidia rises, thats why most people have the dragon de-wormed.

A baby at 8 wks should not go long at all without eating, and should be eating anywhere from 40-100 appropriate sized crickets per day (fed 3x a day... so that amount is all together) along with some dark leaf veggies..which you may have known already.

Temperatures play a big part in their eating habit.. so if you could give me those temps I can maybe see if thats the cause.

I have 5 beardies

Has she ate at all since you got her? and have you got a substrate in the viv? What are you using to heat the viv and have you got UV in the viv ?
Babys are normally right little pigs

sorry for all the questions
edited to ask what the temperatures are in the basking area and the cool end

I think the reason she wasnt eating was because she was in a dark area the whole time in a small containment area (didnt have a tank). So i put her in one of my bros snake cabinets (they are transparent) and she has a little light now fro ma window. I put a piece a lettuce and came back and saw her eating so i went to get more but when i put the lettuce in the same spot while she was eating she ran back to the back of the cabinet. i let her alone for a couple hours (i went to my summer job) and when i came back she didnt eat the lettuce i gave her when she ran away before...

I think the reason she wasnt eating was because she was in a dark area the whole time in a small containment area (didnt have a tank). So i put her in one of my bros snake cabinets (they are transparent) and she has a little light now fro ma window. I put a piece a lettuce and came back and saw her eating so i went to get more but when i put the lettuce in the same spot while she was eating she ran back to the back of the cabinet. i let her alone for a couple hours (i went to my summer job) and when i came back she didnt eat the lettuce i gave her when she ran away before...
Are you saying you are keeping her in a tub with no basking area and no uv?
A Beardie needs a basking area with a temperature of around 110 deg and a UV tube without these they will not survive.They also need veggies and live food as part of the diet

i no... i had to keep her in the little thing cause it turned out the tank had a crack and hole and stuff. She still isnt eating the meal worms. she ate one when i first got her but nothing from then on... my bro isnt helping me at all in taking of these needs...he used to breed beardies.

i no... i had to keep her in the little thing cause it turned out the tank had a crack and hole and stuff. She still isnt eating the meal worms. she ate one when i first got her but nothing from then on... my bro isnt helping me at all in taking of these needs...he used to breed beardies.

You really do need to get her into a proper setup or she will not eat and at the worst you could loose her.
If you cant afford a setup do you not know anyone with a setup that would look after her till you get one or even take her back to where you got her

Never mind... today my bro put crickets in and she ate them all... we just got the crickets... well she wont have any problems with food now and i have a light attached to set up, but its a very strong type of bulb so i have to leave it on for half an hour then leave it off for one hour etc. ill try to get a bulb for constant light.

Also in the plastic cup with all the crickets theres some black worm things with tons of legs. What are they?

Never mind... today my bro put crickets in and she ate them all... we just got the crickets... well she wont have any problems with food now and i have a light attached to set up, but its a very strong type of bulb so i have to leave it on for half an hour then leave it off for one hour etc. ill try to get a bulb for constant light.

Also in the plastic cup with all the crickets theres some black worm things with tons of legs. What are they?

All you need for a basking area is a normal household spot bulb,I use a 100w one in my 4ftx2ftx2ft beardie vivs but you do need a UV in the vivarium aswelll or she will get MBD,Are you dusting her food before you feed it?

The little black things,Are they hairy? over here in the UK they have little black hairy things in with the crickets and they are harmless they use them to clean any mess up from the crickets inc dead bodies,some beardies will eat them others wont but they wont harm her

ya instead of this bulb i will try to get a UV. how many watts should UV be? It will be the only bulb. also i put the crickets in a bag then some of the powder stuff and shake it. Crickets get completely dusted. I dont know if the worms are hairy, just that they have tons of legs.

ya instead of this bulb i will try to get a UV. how many watts should UV be? It will be the only bulb. also i put the crickets in a bag then some of the powder stuff and shake it. Crickets get completely dusted. I dont know if the worms are hairy, just that they have tons of legs.

The UV does not heat the viv at all you will need a UV and a spot bulb

Then i cant have the UV... cant i just powder the crickets all the time? (i would ask my bro but hes out of town now).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back