Bearded Dragon help.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettabub

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two bearded dragons, both of which are about 9" long (including the tail).

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I saw my female bearded dragon shaking, then the shaking got worse. She vomitted up some crickets up that she had eaten not to long ago. Could she be sick or did she eat too much.

She's sick!!! Bring her to reptile vet immediately... :no: I know my lizard can down enough crix to make it look like her belly's gonna burst if I let her, and she still doesn't throw up!!!

TAKE THAT LIZZIE TO THE VET!!!!!!!! :(

Good luck...I hope she'll be okay!!!!

How long have you had them, what is their setup like?

shaking lizards are normally stressed. Make sure you have the right kind of lighting, get rid of your heat rock if you have one and use a ceraminc heater at the top of the cage. Make sure the day and night cycles are right. they need to have the lights off every night.

Is the other bearded aggressive at all? That might cause it as well.

the other physical thing could be a medical, possible parasites.

my apologies if you know all of this already. I don't know your experience level

If the tank gets too chilly for them they will tend to do that, and watch for aggression, there is 2 at the place i work and one grabbed a hold of the other's side :/

thanx for the imput...i've had them seperated, i have had them for about 5 weeks now.

tank setup- I have the female right now in a 33gal. and the male in the 10gal.
33gal.-desertmix sand (which is actually ground nuts or something), a branch that was bought at a pet store(right side of tank). Food and water dish(left side). Screen lid. Thermometer on both sides, hydrogometer(right side). Undertank heating pad(right side).
10gal.-desertmix sand, a hollow log bought from a pet store, food and water dish(left side), Thermometer on both sides, hydrogometer(right side).

I also have a ceramic lamp that I shine in the 33gal. (I put them together for about 1-2.5hrs)

The male in not agressive, they even lick each other to let them know its them. They "cuddle" under the lamp also.

The light stays off during the night, they're in my room, they need the sleep as much as I do....lol

Don't know much about Beardies, but I would be bringing her to the vet!
That doesn't sound good with the shaking!
She sounds like she is a bit stressed though,...don't know why, you seem to have the perfect setup...... :/
I dunno.
I find this website awesome for Reptile info
http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/index.php
I got some really good info when my froggie was ill!
Good luck and keep us posted!
I love Beardies! :wub:

bettabub said:
33gal.-desertmix sand (which is actually ground nuts or something)
#1--It sounds like they're fine together, I wouldn't worry about that, but you do need a MUCH bigger enclosure!!! You should have AT LEAST a 50g terrarium for one, bigger yet for two. And 10 DEFINITELY isn't gonna do it!!!

#2--You MUST get them out of that "desert sand"!!!! From the sound of it, it is ground walnut shells, which can be deadly for lizards. If they ingest any of it while going for a cricket, it can result in gut impaction and death. My fear is that might be what's wrong with your female, in which case there might not be anything you can do for her.

Never2Bknown said:
#2--You MUST get them out of that "desert sand"!!!! From the sound of it, it is ground walnut shells, which can be deadly for lizards. If they ingest any of it while going for a cricket, it can result in gut impaction and death. My fear is that might be what's wrong with your female, in which case there might not be anything you can do for her.
I never thought of that one!
I guess it is just like the Calci-sand for geckos, causes inpaction.

Never2Bknown said:
bettabub said:
33gal.-desertmix sand (which is actually ground nuts or something)
#1--It sounds like they're fine together, I wouldn't worry about that, but you do need a MUCH bigger enclosure!!! You should have AT LEAST a 50g terrarium for one, bigger yet for two. And 10 DEFINITELY isn't gonna do it!!!

Bingo. She's exactly right. :nod:

Even if this is the problem you really should get dragons to a vet because now you need to figure out if they can pass the substrate, if it's going to need to be removed by other means or if that is in fact what the problem is. Even when reptiles swallow substrate, especially sand which is fairly common, they don't usually vomit. If you have a vet that treats reptiles schedule an appointment as soon as you can and until then keep them as warm as possible :thumbs:

Also, the walnut shells scrape the soft belly of lizards and can cause slight cuts and scrapes that you can't see and they can get infected very easily. :/ Same goes for corn cob bedding.

Auratus said:
Bingo. She's exactly right. :nod:

Even if this is the problem you really should get dragons to a vet because now you need to figure out if they can pass the substrate, if it's going to need to be removed by other means or if that is in fact what the problem is. Even when reptiles swallow substrate, especially sand which is fairly common, they don't usually vomit. If you have a vet that treats reptiles schedule an appointment as soon as you can and until then keep them as warm as possible :thumbs:

Also, the walnut shells scrape the soft belly of lizards and can cause slight cuts and scrapes that you can't see and they can get infected very easily. :/ Same goes for corn cob bedding.
SWEET!!!! Somebody actually AGREES with me!!!!!

actually it explains on that bag that it is safe to ingest because it goes right through their system.

they have the same senario too....accidently eating it while eating a cricket.

if not, then aren't there laws for false advertisement? the company won't hear the end of it if thats the case. it shows beardies on the front of the bag.

actually it explains on that bag that it is safe to ingest because it goes right through their system.

they have the same senario too....accidently eating it while eating a cricket.

if not, then aren't there laws for false advertisement? the company won't hear the end of it if thats the case. it shows beardies on the front of the bag.

Yep, they just want to sell their product (think betta vases, they love the plant roots and small spaces blah blah blah). Most people are too dense to realize that's what probably killed their pet or don't care enough to take the time to try to get the $25 they paid for the lizard. They probably have a disclamer on the bag somewhere.

Like on fish gravel it says if it kills your fish they will replace the gravel but aren't responsible for your fish :rolleyes: Either way, it would be hard to prove that gravel killed your fish, or in this case, sand killed your bearded dragon unless you wanted to get a little lizard autopsy done :*) .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back