Beard Algae Removal

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

chubbs9

Reaction score
hi peeps,i have what I am almost certain is beard algae,i have loads of it in my tank as I thought it made the tank look more natural.but its gone to far now lol.
was just wondering what is the best treatment to put into the tank to get rid of it to kill it off????as in one that actually works.its a 300 uk litre tank.

thanks in advance :)

chubbs9

totally black out for 3 days.. plants and fish will be fine.
then find out what the cause of it is.. too much ferts? lighting?

the only living plant I have is a moss ball,nothing else.....so will keeping the lights off get rid then?

I was going to say dose some liquid carbon (I've just started doing this to get rid of a small amount of BBA). However i dont think it will work if you dont have plants? 

Someone can clarify this?

From what I have "researched" I would say double dosing Excel or EasyCarbo (other liquid carbon ferts are available) :)  I've never had BBA problems but have heard that blackouts aren't the most effective treatment, (also a good idea to trim as much back as you can before hand and also remove as much dead algae as possible afterwards) 

Adding more plants to the tank will outcompete the BBA. It will also make your tank look better. 

The best cure is prevention :D

None of these recommendations work, go for chemical warfare with some flourish excel, safe for your fish really help your plants grow and eradicates BBA! Its worth the 9$ 

I had the problem once.  Turns out although my water was crystal clear, nitrates were over 40ppm  What is your nitrate reading?  I noticed your nitrates were high in a post you made last July.   Vacuum your substrate real good.

My black beard (brush) algae problem went away with when I:

1) essentially doubled my substrate vacuuming and 25% water changes from one a month to twice a month, 

2) cut light to 6 hours a day from 10 hours,

3) added Seachem Purigen to the filter.

water changes should be done every week to lessen the nitrates.

Paul1792 said:
I had the problem once.  Turns out although my water was crystal clear, nitrates were over 40ppm  What is your nitrate reading?  I noticed your nitrates were high in a post you made last July.   Vacuum your substrate real good.

My black beard (brush) algae problem went away with when I:

1) essentially doubled my substrate vacuuming and 25% water changes from one a month to twice a month, 

2) cut light to 6 hours a day from 10 hours,

3) added Seachem Purigen to the filter.

And my suggestion was miserably ignored although its the best. 
noexpression.gif

noexpression.gif

no.gif

From what I have "researched" I would say double dosing Excel or EasyCarbo (other liquid carbon ferts are available)
smile.png
 I've never had BBA problems but have heard that blackouts aren't the most effective treatment, (also a good idea to trim as much back as you can before hand and also remove as much dead algae as possible afterwards)

None of these recommendations work, go for chemical warfare with some flourish excel, safe for your fish really help your plants grow and eradicates BBA! Its worth the 9$

noexpression.gif

noexpression.gif

no.gif
Probably as it was previously mentioned by the good looking lad that dose a bit of archery
tongue2.gif

KirkyArcher said:

From what I have "researched" I would say double dosing Excel or EasyCarbo (other liquid carbon ferts are available)
smile.png
 I've never had BBA problems but have heard that blackouts aren't the most effective treatment, (also a good idea to trim as much back as you can before hand and also remove as much dead algae as possible afterwards)

AirFarceLive said:

AirFarceLive said:
noexpression.gif

noexpression.gif

no.gif
Probably as it was previously mentioned by the good looking lad that dose a bit of archery
tongue2.gif

I was focused on Flurish Excel, you were being way to general, plus I have personal expirience while you have "Research". This was mentioned by a color blind teen. 
tongue2.gif

Flourish Excel is just one of SEVERAL glutaraldehyde products on the market - EasyCarbo & API CO2 Booster being two others I am familiar with.  But let's not argue over who said it first, who deserves the credit.

From my part it was just friendly banter, and I hoped it came across as such, apologies if any offence was taken! :) 

No problem, I took it as it was meant to be taken, and so I joked too! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back