Bay Leaves In The Aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wrightt3

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My parents recently purchased an allotment which came with several bay leaf bushes. I was wondering if the dried leaves would be aquarium safe.
I want to add a leaf litter effect to my blackwater tank but the Indian almond leaves I am currently using are too large and expensive. If bay leaves could be used instead that would be great!

Any replies to this would be appreciated
smile.png

Is it an ornamental or the edible bay? Ornamentals (species of laurel) are highly toxic. I'm not sure about the edible sort though.

I didn't even know there was an ornamental species. I'm not dead so I guess that must mean it's edible.

Do the leaves smell like herb bay leaves? Is worry about the fragrance in the water, but it might not be a bad thing.

I don't know categorically, but I wouldn't risk it.

I understood that bay leaves were toxic, and you don't actually eat the leaves for that reason.

Proceed at your ow risk, but:

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
PIMAFIX
Treats 946 gallons!

*All Natural! Extracted from West India Bay Leaves
*Rapidly treats fungal infections on body and fins.
*Shown to be effective for the treatment of Flexbacter (columnaris).
*Safe for delicate fresh and saltwater fish.
*Can be used with Melafix
*Safe for Plants

PIMAFIX is a patented formula derived from Pimenta racemosa (West Indian Bay Tree), a proven natural antifungal.

Wiki says:

Pimenta racemosa is a species of plant in the myrtle family (Myrtaceae) that is native to the Caribbean region. Common names include West Indian bay tree,[2]bay rum tree,[2] and ciliment. It is used in cooking and an essential oil is distilled to produce a fragrant cologne called bay rum; although bay rum is essentially rum, the concentrated essential oil is toxic and renders the product undrinkable.[3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimenta_racemosa

I wouldn't risk it either; wait until autumn and you can collect any number of safe leaves in the UK. Oak, beech and sycamore are all really common.

I guess I'll play it safe and avoid using them. If I were to use other leaves as fluttermoth suggested, why would I have to wait until autumn? wouldn't picking them and leaving them to dry for a few days achieve the same thing? Thanks for the replies anyhow, you've all been really helpful
smile.png

TwoTankAmin said:
you want dead leaves.
Exactly.

Dead leaves are not the same as leaves that are dried. As summer ends, the trees reabsorb some of the minerals/nutrients etc from the leaves and you need to let that happen before you use them.

fluttermoth said:

you want dead leaves.
Exactly.

Dead leaves are not the same as leaves that are dried. As summer ends, the trees reabsorb some of the minerals/nutrients etc from the leaves and you need to let that happen before you use them.

Wow. I have just learnt something new.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back