Banjo Catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The more I think about banjo catfish the more I like them.... are they suitable for a community tank with guppies, cherry barbs and other smallish fish?

They definitely look neat. Seems they are alright for a community tank..may want to have a read of THIS :)

They are great for community aquaria. They are usually timid scavengers and tolerate smaller fish. Aggressive behavior are rarely if not, never heard of. As long as they are given a soft substrate to bury itself, bright lights are not a problem

I have a banjo in with tetras, harlequins and madagascar rainbows and hes thriving. They like to keep hidden so i dont see him very often, he hides under my gravel and ornaments. Sand would be the better option im considering changing over to sand but yeh hes awesome no bother at all.

great news, I asked on another forum and was told they were aggressive and predatory so I figured I'd get a second opinion.  I already have sand and plenty of hiding spots and a fair number of plants. I just think they're so neat looking.  I don't mind if they hide because it makes it more fun when I do see them!  I was also considering a twig catfish, any thoughts on that?

Their banjo catfish must be underfed then that's why it is targeting their fish haha!

Farlowella tends to be more delicate in terms of water conditions and requires a much softer water than most. They also need a LOT of algae the main reason why most get under nourished. They would fare well with slower or less active fish so as to not stress them out.

I'm still questing to find my banjo cat, every time I inquire about one at my lfs they are out, are they seriously that popular?  If I can't manage to track one down, what similar unusual looking peaceful, not overly large catfish could I add?

Guess they're popular and rare. The last time i saw one sold where i'm at was a decade ago, literally and it wasn't even that expensive during that time.

Grab the opportunity to get one :D

when the guy offered to order one for me he made the attempt and his supplier was out of them too! maybe next week he said

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back