Balloon Molly help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Clairesue

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this white stuff is on my balloon molly and what u should do about it thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5535.JPG
    IMG_5535.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 314
Just been in google and interpet No 12 anti crustacean parasite was recommended do you think that's the best thing to use?

Welcome to TFF.

I have no idea obviously of your level of experience, so let me begin by mentioning that when we see probable fish disease, the first response should not be adding substances as treatments unless we know fairly certainly what the issue actually is. I have been in this hobby for more than 20 years, and I still cannot diagnose many diseases. I would doubt very much that the problem here is a crustacean parasite. The water should usually be your first investigation.

From the photos, I am more inclined to suspect water parameters. Mollies require fairly hard water, as they need the minerals calcium and magnesium. Over time, in soft or acidic water, they weaken and fungus (which I believe the white is, also on the other molly in the photo) is common. The clamped fins are another sign. And any "wobbling" or shimmying as we call it, in the swimming is yet another.

Do you know the GH (general hardness) and pH of your source water? If you are on municipal water, you should be able to find this out from your water authority; look for their website.

Knowing how long you have had these fish will also help, and how long has the aquarium been running?

Another issue is what you are feeding the mollies. They are omnivorous, but a good portion of their diet must be vegetarian. They will eat algae and soft plants in the aquarium, but a good algae or spirulina-based prepared food is necessary, and sometimes they will relish blanched vegetables like spinach and green peas.

Byron.

It's difficult to say what that could be without more information. A good first step is always testing the water quality and doing a water change, since most fish illnesses are caused/aggravated by water issues.

Please see this post for more information: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/solving-water-quality-issues-1924.html

Please let us know tank size, what other fish are in the tank, how long the tank has been running, and what your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are, please, as well as when you did your last water change.

Hi thanks the tank has been set up for over 6 months it's only 48 litres so I just had bristlenose and cardinal tetras

I was given 3 Molly's to temporarily house for a friend till they could be rehomes as he has got rid of his tank so I know my set up is not ideal for them

3 weeks ago I added new root bogwood which has given off tannins and white slimy stuff as normal but the plecs are getting rid of that I have had the Molly's for 4 days and thought is was just some of the stuff off the wood on the 1 fish but now I'm unsure

Ammonia is 0 nitrites is 0 and nitrate is 15-20 I used to just do 1 water change per week 30% but I've been doing 2 per week since I added the wood to help with the tannins I don't know hardness sorry

From this additional info, I am still inclined to water parameters being the issue, but we need to verify the GH and pH. Can you track down the web site of your municipal water authority, assuming you are on city water. If you can't find the data there, post the link and I will have a look.

This was the water chart is this what I needed?

Attachments

• IMG_5538.PNG
    IMG_5538.PNG
    97.8 KB · Views: 260
The chart does indeed give the answer.
The two units used in fishkeeping are German degrees (or dH) and ppm (or mg/l) Your chart gives it as 6.65 degrees Clark, and there is a calculator on here which will convert it for you (in the how to tips drop menu).

Your water is soft, 5.3 German degrees and 95 ppm. This is too soft for mollies and is the likely cause of their problem as Byron explained.

I agree. I would remove the mollies, re-home them (to a local store perhaps?) if at all possible, as they are going to slowly succumb and die.

Anticipating a question about altering the water parameters for mollies...yes, this is possible, but you still cannot have them combined with the cardinal tetras and pleco because those fish are ideally suited to your soft water and making the water harder would then impact on them. It has to be either or unfortunately, there is no "middle ground" here.

If you have another tank for the mollies, and want suggestions on creating hard water suitable for them, we can assist. It is not difficult, but it does mean a separate tank and specific substrate.

Byron.

Ok thanks for all your help I did just take them in as a temporary measure the Molly's were to be rehomed as soon as I can rehome them. I know I could adjust the water as I have in my Mbuna tank with rock and crushed coral sand but obviously putting them in there was out of the question. I thought they would be ok for a couple of weeks but this tank is just going to stay cardinal tetras and bristlenose as I think it's too small for anything else anyway.

My only question now is if I rehome them is it ok for them to put them in with their other fish and as long as the water is right the molly should recover. Or will it affect other tankmates. I have someone in mind who just has Molly's you see but I don't think he has a quarantine tank thanks

Ok thanks for all your help I did just take them in as a temporary measure the Molly's were to be rehomed as soon as I can rehome them. I know I could adjust the water as I have in my Mbuna tank with rock and crushed coral sand but obviously putting them in there was out of the question. I thought they would be ok for a couple of weeks but this tank is just going to stay cardinal tetras and bristlenose as I think it's too small for anything else anyway.

My only question now is if I rehome them is it ok for them to put them in with their other fish and as long as the water is right the molly should recover. Or will it affect other tankmates. I have someone in mind who just has Molly's you see but I don't think he has a quarantine tank thanks

That seems a good approach. And I agree, they would be severely stressed in with rift lake cichlids, though the water is what they need. But that would certainly not work. I hope you can re-home them. And if this is what we have been assuming, once they are in good water they should recover. However, once fish are stressed there is always the possibility that it is more severe or long-lasting than we might expect, and stress from this causes weakening of the immune system, so the fish are not at their best.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back