Bala Sharks Fighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lennym75

Reaction score
Hi
i was wondering if anyone could help me, my 2 bala sharks seem to fight sometimes. they chase each other around the tank they bite each other and try to nip each others fins. they dont bother any of the other fish is this a domanering thing as they are both about the same size?? i would appreciate some feed back on this as im quiet concerned
all the other times they are soo peaceful

We need more info to help you out. Did you do any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate readings? Are the sharks newly introduced to the tank? What size is it? Is it cycled? What are the other fish, and how big are the bala sharks?

Bala sharks are a shoaling fish, and because of their potential size, require large tanks. If the tank is not the problem, try getting a few more bala sharks to make them feel comfortable and even out the aggression.
If you have only two, one is bound to be the dominant one, and will bully the other one... Try getting one more at least, and see how it goes from there. Once again, only if you have a large enough tank.

HTH.

If you have only two, one is bound to be the dominant one, and will bully the other one... Try getting one more at least, and see how it goes from there. Once again, only if you have a large enough tank.

I only have two and they are the most docile fish in the tank?!

What does docility have to do with fish picking on one another?

Its normal behaviour, establishing a pecking order, and this isn't just for bala sharks either...

What does docility have to do with fish picking on one another?

Its normal behaviour, establishing a pecking order, and this isn't just for bala sharks either...

Spot on correct. All schooling fish will have one dominant fish which will establish its dominance over the others of its kind by chasing and gentle biting, when kept in pairs or too smaller group this dominance becomes bullying as there are to few fish for the attention to be spread across. The answer is either buy more bala sharks or if you dont have room return them to the store and replace them with something more suited to your tank.

Most reactions

Back