Baffled

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Roger68

Reaction score
I recently got 2 Oscars, cycled my tank for 3 weeks before introducing them , they were both doing fine but now I have 1 thriving an eating an the other just stopped eating , isn't swimming around an Is laying on the bottom of the tank an leaning over on its side periodically, as I stated prior the other is thriving an doing well , they are only about 2 inches long , I have them in a 40 gallon tank for now but will be upgrading to 100 gallon in a few weeks , I have 100 gallon filter system on the tank so I pretty sure it isn't a filter issue , I also did a 50 % water change as soon as I noticed the behavior , all levels are good , baffled ? Do I have a sick fish ?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

When you say cycled for 3 weeks, what did that entail?
I ask because it normally takes 4-5 weeks for an aquarium filter to develop the beneficial bacteria needed to keep the water clean.

When you tested the water, what did you test for and what were the results (in numbers)?

The best thing to do if any fish ever looks funny, is acting unusual, looks unwell, or dies, is to do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day until the problem is identified.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the aquarium.

Most issue with fish are caused by water quality and all fish tolerate conditions slightly differently to each other. The more fancy the fish the less they tolerate poor water quality.

Big Oscars are renown for sulking and it usually happens when the water is not good or something was changed in their environment (a fish was added or removed, ornaments moved around, etc). It can also be from bullying, however small Oscars don't normally fight that much.

Can you post a picture of both of your fish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back