Bad fish food.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

J CZA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a dwarf gourami who I feed omega one betta fish buffet flakes too. And the gravel and a little of the decor are getting brown. The other 2 fishtank I have never had this problem since I feed them omega one pellets. I might oversee him since he is only one fish. I have 3 Cory catfish as a cleanup crew and nothing happend. I removed some of the gravel and cleaned it off but it returned soon after. I think it is the fishflakes since the gravel and decor that is brown in only around the feeding place and not around the corners of the fiah tank at all. Also my ph is really high but the tank is a 10gal and the chemical i got is i mil for 10 gal so there isnt a way i can mesure it into the waterchanges. A local fishkeeper also said i can add spring water from the store and it will lover it over time. I dont know if that can help. The gourami looks less orange. I can test the water later, but the only thing alarming was the ph like 8.2 or somthing.

Can you post a picture of the aquarium, fish and the brown stuff on the gravel and ornaments?

Do you have any rocks in the tank?

What is the pH of your tap water?

What is the chemical you have that is dosed at 1 ml per 10 gallon?

A local fishkeeper also said i can add spring water from the store

Close but no cigar, Not all spring water is created equal. Some water while safe to drink is not fish safe.

alkaline-water-bottles-ph-chart.jpg

Most bottled spring type water is a scam its nothing more than filtered tap water.

Close but no cigar, Not all spring water is created equal. Some water while safe to drink is not fish safe.

alkaline-water-bottles-ph-chart.jpg

Most bottled spring type water is a scam its nothing more than filtered tap water.
Damn, that sucks. I have the api ph lower but it's confusing

Can you post a picture of the aquarium, fish and the brown stuff on the gravel and ornaments?

Do you have any rocks in the tank?

What is the pH of your tap water?

What is the chemical you have that is dosed at 1 ml per 10 gallon?
I dont have any rocks in the tank, I have white colored gravel (the color chipped a bit, I don't know if that could do somtging) I need to check and ill do that, but I can't rn. I don't have a laptop so I don't know how else I can post a photo.

nps about the photo.

If the brown stuff wipes off or lifts off in a film, then it is Cyanobacter bacteria (aka: blue green algae). This can grow in any tank and loves stationary water, low oxygen, light and nutrients.

Try doing a 75% water change each day for a week and gravel clean the substrate each day too. Syphon any of the stuff out each day and reduce feeding, especially with dry foods. Increase aerationa dn water movement around the tank.

See how it looks after a week.

nps about the photo.

If the brown stuff wipes off or lifts off in a film, then it is Cyanobacter bacteria (aka: blue green algae). This can grow in any tank and loves stationary water, low oxygen, light and nutrients.

Try doing a 75% water change each day for a week and gravel clean the substrate each day too. Syphon any of the stuff out each day and reduce feeding, especially with dry foods. Increase aerationa dn water movement around the tank.

See how it looks after a week.
It's brown and in spots, wipes off easy but there is a filter with a good amount of adoration. You don't think it's the food coating the gravel. I don't think I feed hit that much but I don't have this problem with my other tanks.

If it was excess food you would see the food particles.

It is either a type of brown algae or Cyanobacteria. However, without a picture it is hard to say. Generally tho, Cyanobacteria will double the area it covers each day. You suck it up and the next day it is back. Whereas algae is slower growing and doesn't spread as fast.

Cyanobacteria can occur in any water body and can be a problem in one tank and not appear in other tanks. It can occur in new tanks or old well established ones. Its just a matter of physically removing it and waiting for things to settle down in the tank. Water changes and gravel cleans are the most effective way of dealing with it.

If you don't have live plants in the tank you can reduce lighting and that can sometimes help.

If it was excess food you would see the food particles.

It is either a type of brown algae or Cyanobacteria. However, without a picture it is hard to say. Generally tho, Cyanobacteria will double the area it covers each day. You suck it up and the next day it is back. Whereas algae is slower growing and doesn't spread as fast.

Cyanobacteria can occur in any water body and can be a problem in one tank and not appear in other tanks. It can occur in new tanks or old well established ones. Its just a matter of physically removing it and waiting for things to settle down in the tank. Water changes and gravel cleans are the most effective way of dealing with it.

If you don't have live plants in the tank you can reduce lighting and that can sometimes help.
Thanks, the tap water on is 7.8 or 8 on the api master kits high range on and maxed out on the normal ph. And the tanks on is 8.2. I have some API on down if it is needed.

I have some API on down if it is needed.

This stuff is rubbish and thats where it belongs.

The only safe way to lower PH is to use Ro or distilled water then remineralise it.

This stuff is rubbish and thats where it belongs.

The only safe way to lower PH is to use Ro or distilled water then remineralise it.
Yea, I also have alot of fish stuff i don't use. But I might need it like the salt stuff. If i dont use that I could add some diffrent water or leave it. Could it kill the dwarf gourami?

But I might need it
You will never need it, Its rubbish and the fluctuationsin PH it causes will harm your fish.

You will never need it, Its rubbish and the fluctuationsin PH it causes will harm your fish.
Yea, same with the benafical bacteria I have and other stuff I can add that spring water or whatever I just got it when I was out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back