Bacterial Bloom

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mattharris85

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm in urgent need of help I've had cloudy water for about 6 weeks now no amount of water changes has helped it's milky cloud so I'm guessing a bacterial bloom I've been to my aquatics and they are puzzled as everything they have suggested hasn't worked I've got symec micro in my filter to try and collect any particles but that isn't working either many thanks for replies

What temp is the tank set at? I've heard that you can try lowering the temp for a little bit.
How often and large are the water changes?
Volume here is better than frequency,
Is it stocked? Are you doing a fishless cycle? If so how?
What are the parameters?

It was an upgrade from a 40l to a 70l my old tank was perfect so 40l of my old water went in my temp is about 74f I was told to do about 15l of water changes daily so tried that and didn't work so tried cutting it to 15l every 4 days that didn't work and my substrate is corse sand and yeah it is stocked with fish I washed the sand for about an hour
Oh sorry and to add all my parameters are good I've tested it and took a sample to my local maidenhead aquatics and they said my water was good also

Transferring old tank water alone won't transfer any nitrifying bacteria - they live in the filter media - sponge, ceramic beads whatever so if it's a new filter you're starting from scratch unless you transferred the filter material too.
Tell us a bit more about the set-up you've currently got like;
how it was cycled, equipment, types and numbers of fish etc, 
When you say the parameters are good what are they actually in ppm or mg/l?
Sorry to ask so many questions but it will help us to help you.

It could be particles from the sand, when you do your next water change try to be gentle as possible returning the water. You could submerge a bowl and pour the water in directly above it. 

If its not from the sand, at least it will help rule this out.

bacteria booms can last long if you keep messing with it. I had a really really bad one last 5 days. I even lost fish to it. My Take Temp was too high and the bacteria uses up LOTS of O2 when it is trying to reproduce and keep up with the demand. My fish were gasping at the surface. I figured it out. I added more water movement to the surface to add more O2 that helped the fish. It also helped the boom. 

Add get more O2 in your tank and that will help it sort out quick STOP doing Water changes that is just making it worst. you need to let the bacteria to grow and kind of sort it's it needs ammonia and nitrites to grow and fix the bloom. 

Its hard for me to explain here. But just stop the water changed get more O2 in the tank and it will clear up quick. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back