Bacterial Bloom?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

neilzomg

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Had to change the filters in my tank they were pretty bad..  Did this before my tank filters seem to pick up a lot of dirt quickly and the carbon filter gets like a sludge on the top of it as well. But anyway,

The water is just a little bit cloudy is it a bacterial bloom and if so how do i go about it

Neil

Depending on the filter I don't think you are supposed to throw out the old media (with the exception of activated carbon).  Usually you add to it so you can keep your beneficial bacteria.  I am no expert but would assume your cloudy water is a bacterial bloom.  Not much you can do but check your water parameters daily and do water changes if ammonia or nitrite is present.  Eventually the bloom will be sucked into the filter and things should go back to normal as the bacteria will colonize the new media.  In the future you can rinse the sludge and gunk off in a bucket of tank water (tap water will likely kill the bacteria) to avoid this.  I have two HOB filters for my tank and I rinse one every two weeks or so in lieu of replacing the media.  If I notice the media is getting thin or developing holes I will add another filter square but keep the old one.  This way I keep my mechanical filtration and all of my beneficial bacteria. 

How long have you had this tank?

Is your tank a new set up and doing a fishless cycle or is this a tank you've had a while with stocking?

Chaydell is correct in saying do not throw out filter media with exception of carbon.

The filter media holds all the beneficial bacteria needed for dealing with ammonia that fish produces, this media should only ever be very gently cleaned in old tank water by gently swishing it and maybe a gentle squeeze to get rid of some gunk.

Some members in the hobby has never thrown away filter media unless media is literally falling apart after years of constant use.

Cloudy water is a sign of bacterial bloom, normal in new tank set ups but in established tanks means filter bacteria is disrupted really.  

EDIT - i don't keep activated carbon filter in my filter, not needed really unless used for taking out used meds after treatments.

Would it be worth while to throw in some ceramic carbon in the filter along with my sponge filters? 

i'll keep the old stuff and only replace my carbon filter when needed :)

I'm told the ceramic balls are usually a great place for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize.  But again it will depend on what kind of filter you have.  I am hardly an expert on filters, I just know what I do with mine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back