Back With Macs!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
majerah1 said:
be careful with the tumblers, the eggs are super sensitive. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPI_HZBRF0g

I am not sure what he has used, looks to be a glass of water sitting in a tank. Probably some fungucide to prevent the eggs from going bad. I have thought of doing the same thing and am very close to stripping my male. 

I see, I'll contact the owner of Macrostoma.net and ask what the setup he used in that vid to artificially hatch the eggs out.
Good news is my pair already courting again. I really like the breeding colours and full flare on male Macs, during courtship. Now that my male's fins have healed back, I can visually enjoy them in their full glory lol.
DerpPH said:
Hm... wild type bettas have their own right to be called gorgeous
biggrin.png

Nice macs you got there.

good luck on breeding them. hope the mouthbrooding goes well

Yes, yes they do.
I'm getting my new breeding group of Betta.channoides (3 males-2 females) on the 16th, really excited.
The male Mac's fins have healed back and he is really stunning now, I'll try to get updated pics when I can.
Thanks.

Got some good news a bad news guys. Woke up this morning to discover my male mac laying on his side and choking on one of my oto cats. He swallowed it down past the oto cat's gills, so it's pectoral fins were lodged in the mac's gills and throat. The mac had been thrashing around trying to swallow the oto cat, and it seems the fin that was stuck in the mac's gills, sliced one of his gill filaments. 

At that point I decided to intervene and preform "surgery" on the fish, to free it the oto cat stuck in mac's throat. After about 10 minutes of trying to snip the oto cat's pectorals, I finally got it loose enough to wiggle the fish out of my mac's throat. I made sure not to cut to far up the oto cat's fin, to make sure they'd grow back. I held the mac's mouth open as well and used a pair of thin forceps to remove the remaining fins/barbs stuck in the mac's mouth and gills.

The mac was stressed out and barely moving afterwards, but once I moved him inside of the recovery box I had in his main tank, he slowly started to get back to normal. He's just sitting at the bottom of the box at the moment fanning his fins and once in a awhile swimming to the surface to take a gulp of air. Treating him with some aquarium salt and running a airstone in the box. I've relocated all the otos to a separate tank.

I'll keep you guys updated on his recovery.

Oh no! Hope he is going to be ok? what an ordeal for the both of you, I hope you have a positive outcome!

Shelster said:
Oh no! Hope he is going to be ok? what an ordeal for the both of you, I hope you have a positive outcome!

Yeah, when I first saw my mac just laying on the bottom of the tank, I completely freaked out. He's doing better now though, I'd give him a day or two before he goes back swimming around like usual. 
My pair were courting each other again last night, so maybe he saw the otos as a threat. My female seems to be more worried, she's just hovering under the recovery box my male is currently resting in.

Good news everyone, my male mac has pulled through and is 99% back to normal. He's actively swimming around again and has gotten his appetite back. The swelling on the sides of his jaws have gone down and the torn gill filament has pulled back behind the mac's gill plate. I'll continue to keep everyone updated on his recovery through this past week.

Poor guy! Glad to hear he is recovering. Never seen one go for an otto, though I myself do not have any. Hoping he will brood for you now. Return the favor :) 

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted on here. Quite a lot has happened over the past couple of years (some good, but majority not so good...), and ended taking a break from the hobby.
Here some old pics of my mac trio (from July 1st) . Unfortunately my female passed last month, due to my the dominant male roughing her up (I think my male wanted to breed, but she hadn't taken a fancy to him). Unfortunately I was on a family outing, and I didn't make it home in time...
I'll try to get some updated pics of my males, as soon as I can.

tYlCiqu.jpg

VCDZaAz.jpg

RN6E7Tl.jpg

KOc3PVm.jpg

mIRrTcr.jpg

3g1L5ex.jpg

NvWlaeb.jpg

H9besmA.jpg

HRJDIPq.jpg

88DiEpL.jpg

VkeaO1w.jpg

Most reactions