Back To Basics

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Glad it is of use to people :)

Glenn, using WPG & LED's doesnt work, i am not too knowledgeable on them myself, however, if you give supercoley1 a PM i am sure he can help further.

Just a wittle, wittle link. I get that it needs to be easy, but the information should be there. It won't take away from the basics of the article and the whole nutrients cause algae assumption really just needs to be put to bed. One link will do it.

one link you say... well seven you have :D
Seriously, one link cant sum it up, or go into the detail due to so much information around :huh:

I have also added links to
non co2 methods, more algae guides.

hopefully there isnt too much more needed on the article now :shifty:
Thanks, Aaron

Just a wittle, wittle link. I get that it needs to be easy, but the information should be there. It won't take away from the basics of the article and the whole nutrients cause algae assumption really just needs to be put to bed. One link will do it.

one link you say... well seven you have :D
Seriously, one link cant sum it up, or go into the detail due to so much information around :huh:

I have also added links to
non co2 methods, more algae guides.

hopefully there isnt too much more needed on the article now :shifty:
Thanks, Aaron

Thank you Aaron. I feel better about it now. Now, with the basics in order, I can focus more specifically on styles of aquascaping, more-detailed looks at lighting and substrates, and more detailed information and expansion of the Plant index.

I still want to let it sit for a bit as a pin and let people make commentary before I move it to its permanent place in PARC.

llj

Good post but i have one question. I have a new set of lights coming this week but im really unsure of the "how much lighting" category we fall into we have these coming:

<a href="http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/aquaray-lighting.asp" target="_blank">http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/aquaray-lighting.asp</a>

we have the twin aquaray aquabeam natural daylight coming. We have presurized CO2 but wondered roughly where we fall so i can look at specific plants i might want to get in the future.

Cheers for any help

how big is your tank? that way you can work out watts per gallon(wpg) and basically 1 is low 2-3 is medium to high and 3+ is high
sorry i cannot let this bit slip, you cant just apply a rule like that, what happens if i have a large tank, say a 100USG, that means i have to have over 300w of light for it to be 'classed' as a high light and yet 150-200w will be masses for 99% of all aquatic plants. Blanketing with this rule is pointless and doesnt serve anyone really, and not to mention that T5's are HO so really for high light on my 4x2x2 i would only really need about 150W. I dont want you to become a member of the '2WPG club' :lol:

This is a great article - I will be re-reading it as I begin my tank.

However, I keep reading contradictory advice on cycling the tank. Do I fishless cycle then add plants, establish plants first then fish, plants with shrimp immediately then fish, plants and fish straight away...?

Glad it is of use, see this thread on cylcing a planted tank:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=299827

you have listed various ways that are all possible.

plant 75% substracte coverage and add fish after a day or two (ie, for those few days wait until everything is setup and running smoothly such as CO2 levels etc)

fishless cycle, then add plants after it has finsished.

dont fishless cycle & add plants because the ammonia added can trigger an algae outbreak.

thanks, Aaron

The problem is my lighting is only 1.2W/gal and I was hoping to just use low light plants and not bother with CO2. So which method would you recommend to start a planted tank under these conditions? Will I even be able to attain 75% coverage?

The problem is my lighting is only 1.2W/gal and I was hoping to just use low light plants and not bother with CO2. So which method would you recommend to start a planted tank under these conditions?

either way will do, personally i go with "silent cycle" because i dont see the point in waiting 4-6weeks for the filter to cycle while i can enjoy watching fish & plants grow.
stock lightly, no more than 6 fish per week (like tetras or something small).
and keep up with th water changes.
keep pruning the rotting leaves too as they produce ammonia.

Will I even be able to attain 75% coverage?

you have to buy plenty of plants ;)

thanks, Aaron

This pin is now incorporated into PARC as the first link. It has a special place and I recommend that it is the first thing you read if you want to setup a Planted tank. The pin section was getting congested.

great read,

i was quite unsure when it come to keeping real plants. i was even considering plastic!?

i'm doing alot of research before i get my tank [soon], and that was a great help.

thank you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back